[COMPO] The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2007

Started by LPChip, January 09, 2007, 19:29:04

Previous topic - Next topic

georg

My submission for The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2007
------------------------------------------------

Song5 - most creative. oodles of funk. howls were too loud, and i'd like to see some panning done, but that's a minor offense. winner by a mile an 1/2

Song6 - excellent "skeleton" of a track. if it wasn't hastily tracked maybe it would have some real meat. great potential. you get extra points for sounding nothing like the rest.

Song1 - nice beats and atmos. good use of volume and filters. some parts were great. riff-samples were usually below average.

Song2 - good beats, but you lose points for using stock "unchopped" loops. better use of volume cmds and filters would help too. good use of smaples throughout.

Song3 - not very creative use of samples. GOOD atmos. good buildup but the mid to end part is not very good.

Song4 - least creative of the lot, but solid tracking.

Song7 - work harder man.

I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

xaimus

Quote from: "LPChip"Xaimus added an effect to the song which is not allowed.
What effect?

Anyhow:

Song1 - Neat

Song5 - awesome

Song7 - cool

Song2 - alright

Song4 - boring

Song3 - Boring.  :(

Song6 - crap

LPChip

The comments on song1, song5 and song2 are really long. can you make these shorter please?

You should put in a small comment about the song, not why you voted for it.

The effect you used was Classic EQ on FX Slot 100. You think I wouldn't notice? ;)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

xaimus

Quote from: "LPChip"The effect you used was Classic EQ on FX Slot 100. You think I wouldn't notice? ;)
I actually completely forgot that I put that there.  Did it even do anything?  I don't think I had anything routed through it.

Also, editing comments.

EDIT: Checked the original track--it doesn't do anything aside from a 2.4 dB boost applied to everything.  wtf

LPChip

Lol, you went from really long to really short :P You did that to tease on me didn't you? :nuts:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

CrazyAznGamer

Quote from: "georg"
good use of volume and filters.
I didn't use filters. :D

Waxhead

One rule for the compo was that Soundquality does not matter. So if someone in fact did add a filter, used EQ, added stereo effects etc...etc...  does it really matter at all?! As long as the effect does improve the soundquality and does not alter the melody (echo for example) why bother since people was supposed to not consider that when voting for their favorite song.

georg

I left those comments to the authors. It didn't affect voting. And are you sure you didn't use any kind of filtering? I'm pretty sure... hmm.

LPChip

Quote from: "georg"And are you sure you didn't use any kind of filtering? I'm pretty sure... hmm.

I'd say that its ruled out because XM files don't support filters. :)

xaimus

Quote from: "LPChip"Lol, you went from really long to really short :P You did that to tease on me didn't you? :nuts:
aye :D

residentgrey

why are you all who made one of those songs commenting on your own? isnt that like conflict of interest?
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

LPChip

Quote from: "residentgrey"why are you all who made one of those songs commenting on your own? isnt that like conflict of interest?

Its polite ;) (and funny :P)

tvdude

Song5 -In a league of its own.  Amazing; very creative and stylish.  Great Knowledge of OMT.
Song1 -Excellent song.  Stylish and well writtin.
Song7 -Atmospheric and moody.  Great beat.  I love it.  A bit long.
Song6 -Also Atmospheric and moody.  Great ideas in the song, a bit disjointed though.
Song2 - Excellent beginning.  Great composition for the opening credits of an espionage movie.
Song4 - Great beat!  A bit short.
Song3 - Super boring.  No zxx used since the moron who wrote it read the rules wrong.  Composer should be shot on sight.

tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

georg

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "georg"And are you sure you didn't use any kind of filtering? I'm pretty sure... hmm.

I'd say that its ruled out because XM files don't support filters. :)

What the hell did i imagine was filtering then?! I'll have to look the song up again. Hell maybe even vote it lower.

LPChip

All participants have been voted, and thus far, the score is:

34   Waxhead
30   CrazyAznGamer
25   Xaimus
17   Sam_Zen
16   tvdude
15   Georg
10   LPChip

Don't forget, this is NOT the final score. There is still some time for non-participants to vote:)

A complete list with all comments will be given after the deadline has been passed for voting. :)