[COMPO] The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2007

Started by LPChip, January 09, 2007, 19:29:04

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Deadline has been passed, and the upload facility no longer works.

I'm checking all songs now for following the rules. Next I will have to do a bit renaming so that it will be easy to name a song when voting, as a few entries have an almost identical name, and others have quite a long one :)

EDIT:

Xaimus added an effect to the song which is not allowed. Since its only one effect, that effect has been removed from the song and will be as that in the votepack.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Waxhead

I'm really looking forward to downloading 48MB of the same samples.  Hope you rar / 7-zip a big pack instead of each file. ;)

LPChip

Quote from: "Waxhead"I'm really looking forward to downloading 48MB of the same samples.  Hope you rar / 7-zip a big pack instead of each file. ;)

Yes ofcource I am downloading it as one big songpack. Thats the reason Why I decided to release a bigger samplepack, so the downloading of all entries could be merged to one single Rar file that probably won't be larger than 5 mb.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

georg

bah

The differences in playback quality and consistency between different machines and software and different speakers/headphones are beyond annoying. I'm listening to something i allegedy tracked myself and can hardly recognise it. Nevermind me not properly finishing the track. That's bad enough but there are sounds i never heard before in it now, and some "pieces" do not fit at all. And all i'm doing is playing it in an older MPT on a pair of speakers.

Long story short, i hope noone playes my entry with an older version of MPT, or god forbid, Winamp. bah

un-fucken-recognisable...i HATE machines.
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

LPChip

Quote from: "georg"bah

The differences in playback quality and consistency between different machines and software and different speakers/headphones are beyond annoying. I'm listening to something i allegedy tracked myself and can hardly recognise it. Nevermind me not properly finishing the track. That's bad enough but there are sounds i never heard before in it now, and some "pieces" do not fit at all. And all i'm doing is playing it in an older MPT on a pair of speakers.

Long story short, i hope noone playes my entry with an older version of MPT, or god forbid, Winamp. bah

un-fucken-recognisable...i HATE machines.

Its not even allowed. Everyone has to play the song in OpenMPT RC2 or higher (last build preferred) for voting.

Seems that I didn't put that in the rules, but ofcource you'll have to use OpenMPT. I'd prefer version 0.45 since it has the most features, and this is a MODPlug Tracker compo. I added the rule as it is required. Its pointless to make a song that plays badly in another player if you don't expect this to happen.

georg

Doesn't just sound bad, it is ... different. Even the loops get "whacked". Total weirdness...

That's a good rule BTW. I wish it was OHC standard practise too.
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

apple-joe

I failed. I created an entry, but after listening to it a couple of days after I finished it, my impression was horrible. So I decided to try a new entry, but I somehow never got the motivation. I was obviously not able to deal with such samples this time, but I think I want to get the votepcak and have a listen nontheless.

Waxhead

LPChip: When can we expect to start downloading?!

LPChip

Quote from: "Waxhead"LPChip: When can we expect to start downloading?!

I have fixed the naming issue, and included a nice vote instructions.txt file which will help you to vote.

The entire package is 6.99 mb zipped with .7z zipped exe in it. (rar could do 25 mb as best LOL.

You only need a program that can handle Zip files. The .7z file is self extracting. :)

I'm about to upload, so expect a link here in about... 10 minutes or so.

LPChip

Okay people! :D

The VotePack has been released.

The filesize is 7 mb. Unpack it with a zip program, then run the executable inside to further uncompress the files.

Use the including .txt file to post your votings here.

The deadline for voting has been set to end februari. Any vote after the deadline won't be counted. (or there must be a very special reason and close to the deadline)

Waxhead

Waxhead

And here is the votes from the hairless jury:

My submission for The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2007
------------------------------------------------

Song6 - Sounds totaly different from the other contributions! Great "transformation"
Song1 - Sad and unharmonic start but picks up later. Great drums!
Song3 - Good rythm. A bit monotome tough
Song4 - To "simple" and monotome
Song2 - Supercool start!!! (nice phazing), but too boring.
Song7 - Way to long and boring, Nice rythm tough!
Song5 - Short, unpolished and a crappy ending.

Please note that I based my votes on the musical experience only. (I did not look at the patterns so my votes are not affected by how "technical" the song is)

LPChip

Song5 - Great use of the possibilities! I really liked it.
Song1 - Nice variations and techniques used.
Song3 - I miss a twistpoint where the song changes in a different direction.
Song2 - I'm not a big fan or experimentalism. Melodic vibe fixes enough though.
Song7 - Nice atmosphere, clicks are bad though.
Song6 - I knew it was possible but still I'm amased on how well you did it. Not my style though...
Song4 - Was more made to test if the samples were good enough.

CrazyAznGamer

Song6 - I'll be lookin out for ya xaimus ;D No comment needed.
Song5 - Very nice percussion, and I love some of the lines in there
Song7 - Actually, I like the clicks, they add that surrealist experimentalist thing in there.... but meh
Song2 - Opening and ornaments nice, needs moar percussion variations.
Song4 - Would be enjoyable sans other similar entries.
Song3 - Less predictability would be nice.
Song1 - Long and crappy crap.

Sam_Zen

Song5 - Intimate track with a nice tune, having the proper length
Song1 - Started promising, but halfway it seemed like a second song started, so it lost some cohesion.
Song3 - Good, compact song, lacking surprise a bit.
Song6 - Sloppy start. Great, but in potential, because it's more some sketches than a drawing.
Song7 - Too long. The last part at lower speed would have been sufficient. Rest predictable with awful ticks.
Song4 - Nothing much to say. A decent exposition of the available material.
Song2 - Too simple and definetely wrong tempo.