[COMPO] Are you in for one?

Started by LPChip, December 29, 2006, 23:46:27

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I've been thinking about organising a competition.

I've found a way to test someone's skills about MODPlug Tracker beyond what usually is being tested.

The thing I'm worried about, is that there aren't enough people interested in a compo like this, which is the reason for this post.

My question is: Do you want to participate in this compo?

The rules are partially known already:
  • You can only use MODPlug Tracker
  • You'll get an .it file which you'll have to work with.
  • Sample pack will be provided through the .it file
  • You cannot add nor change the samples in any way.
  • There are no restrictions in the instruments at all.
  • No use of VST effects and neither VST Instruments. (that includes the DX Media effects)
  • Deadline will be determined once there's a clear vision on who is willing to participate, same as the way to vote. (eg. jury wise or public voting etc...)
  • Sound Quality is NOT important, and if I choose for a jury, they will not pay attention to the sound quality. (note that the samples will have a certain degree of quality nevertheless)
  • Your submission cannot be a rendered mp3, but has to be your module.
  • Although I don't see a point in it, you are allowed to submit any kind of module that MODPlug Tracker can open, but it won't get you extra points for skills if you choose a hard format.
This is all I can think of at the moment. More rules might come, but maybe not. If you don't understand something, because I could've forgotten to mention it in the rules, just ask. :)

If I don't get any reaction about wanting to join at 1st of february 2007 (I don't mean an entry, cus there is no sample pack yet, but I mean a reaction that says: yeah, I'll join this compo), the compo will be cancelled.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

I'll join. I've never worked with .it files, so it seems a nice challenge to me.

tvdude

I'm interested.  I've used Modplug for 3 years now; I'd be interested to see how much I know in relation to others.  Even after 3 years, I still feel like a newbie, despite the fact that I've released an album (mistake maybe????..lol...we'll see).  Count me in...this will be the first competition I've entered, so I may need a bit of guidance with this.
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

KrazyKatz

I'd Love to be a judge. Ive been entring all the tough contests of late  and just dont feel up to this one.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"I'd Love to be a judge. Ive been entring all the tough contests of late  and just dont feel up to this one.

I'll keep it in mind. :)

If I decide to go for public voting, then do note that you're allowed to vote aswell :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

apple-joe

Quite interesting. However, how unimportant is sound quality? I've learned at least something about volume/pitch/panning envelopes and new note action after several years of ignorance. Are you saying I shouldn't focus on it? I guess I'll do anyway, and then I'll take what may come with regards to the judgement of my potential entry.

CrazyAznGamer

For.

I'd have to agree with apple-joe, though. Sound quality is a vague term to describe a criteria that may intrude into skills that go beyond regular tracking. If one is limited to just notes and samples, one might as well be using a MIDI or something.

Also, there are things XMs can do that ITs can't, such as fine pitch bends. Mind, ITs are still much fuller featured, but I'd like to point out there are compelling reasons to use XMs as well. MODs and S3Ms, from what I can see, are out-dated tho'. Then again, they are very nostalgic formats :D

Jah, I'm relatively noobie, so it'd be interesting to see where I'm at.

SoundCrafter

Aah, why the hell not? Reason still isn't here (Academic versions are amazing deals, but ths shipping time blows balls.) and I don't have much to do. I'm in.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

Quote from: "apple-joe"Quite interesting. However, how unimportant is sound quality? I've learned at least something about volume/pitch/panning envelopes and new note action after several years of ignorance. Are you saying I shouldn't focus on it? I guess I'll do anyway, and then I'll take what may come with regards to the judgement of my potential entry.

Lets just say that the samples itself have good quality and it won't give you additional points of you somehow manage to get them sound even better by using filter settings or what so ever. The idea is to look beyond the boundaries that I'm going to set, which will be possible if you know the tracker well. :)

As there is loads of animo, which I must say, am pleased to see this, I've decided to go for public voting. :)

This also means, that you'll see who voted for you and who voted against you. Note though, that this is a challenge for everyone and certainly will be one that everyone can learn from when the compo is over by looking at eachother's entries. :)

LPChip

Quote from: "CrazyAznGamer"For.

I'd have to agree with apple-joe, though. Sound quality is a vague term to describe a criteria that may intrude into skills that go beyond regular tracking. If one is limited to just notes and samples, one might as well be using a MIDI or something.
Actually, one is. Not directly in the terms of just notes and samples, but the concept is close to it. The reason why I'm not aiming for midi is because that doesn't test someone's tracking skills.

Quote from: "CrazyAznGamer"
Also, there are things XMs can do that ITs can't, such as fine pitch bends. Mind, ITs are still much fuller featured, but I'd like to point out there are compelling reasons to use XMs as well. MODs and S3Ms, from what I can see, are out-dated tho'. Then again, they are very nostalgic formats :D
You've got a point there. XM's are allowed so if you want to use the fine pitch bends, then thats perfectly fine. It was just a matter of illustrating that you'll get most out of the IT file.
Quote from: "CrazyAznGamer"
Jah, I'm relatively noobie, so it'd be interesting to see where I'm at.
If you're creative, you'll do fine. If you also have tracking skills, you might even win. :)

LPChip

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"Aah, why the hell not? Reason still isn't here (Academic versions are amazing deals, but ths shipping time blows balls.) and I don't have much to do. I'm in.

Nice :)

I'm already working on the samplepack.

apple-joe

Okay. Hmm, I've been inactive in terms of composing recently. I can't recall the last period of time which was like this. This may imply at least two cases:

1) The inactivity remains through-out the compo period :\

2) I get to compose a very very fresh piece for the compo, as a result of about a month with virtually no tracking.

LPChip

Based on what the compo will be, I think it'll be the 2nd item. :)

MaxL

I'm in! Would prefer XM to IT, but will enter anyway just as long as we're free to choose genres..