Weird Fact

Started by Really Weird Person, December 28, 2006, 05:12:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

I thought of a weird (but true) fact. What do some counting numbers start with? 1! When we count, what number do we start with? 1! Typically, when we insert numbering into a document, what number do we start with? 1! Therefore, why does the computer start with 0? Hmmmmm, that is a good point, isn't it? I just thought of another interesting thing that contradicts computer logic. If you have read and believe the Bible, you may get this one. I have a Bible program for my Palm handheld, and I did a search for various numbers (their word names) (including zero), and I found references for all of them (that I can remember) except for zero. Therefore, that gives me the idea that people in biblical times most likely started with one when they counted, not zero :)!

speed-goddamn-focus

From what I've heard, the Romans didn't even have a definition for zero. :O

KrazyKatz

Its is possible to start with Zero. Some T.Vs have a "0" channel. Assuming a T.V has 0-50 channels that means in Total it has 51 channels. Hence 50 + 0 = 51. This is because zero is a representation of a 1 channel, and the 51 is a representation of the amount of wholes.

So in answer to your Q, it starts with 1 because as an integer 1 represents the first whole, where-as 0 represents no whole.

Zero is indeed the last number to be introduced into Math.

Looking at the Bible, I just had an interesting thought... Since the Original Testament is In Hebrew, the First word "Bereshit" ( in the beginning ) Starts with a "Bet". The second letter of the Hebrew Alphabet. You would imagine that it would start with the first letter. Now the first letter  "Aleph" by itself is unpronounceable. The first pronounceable letter is "Bet". This might indicate that before there is something, there is nothing. And that suggests that whilst the start is Bet, before that there is definitely none ( Zero ).
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com