Tranpose Function -- G#2? Panning VSTi? Volume ramping?

Started by mrvegas, December 14, 2006, 20:42:13

Previous topic - Next topic

mrvegas

To start off, I'd just like to say MPT is great.  Thanks to those who have worked on it.  I'm starting to use it more now, coming over some from Psycle.  I have a few questions, and I tried (honestly) to search for the answer before I posted.

1.  While I understand what the transpose function is meant to do, there are some things I don't get.  Why does it always say G#2 when I load a sample?  What is the difference between this and the pitch change function?

2.  I can load and play VSTIs no problem.  However, if the instrument does not have its own panning control, it seems I can't set it from the General window.  Am I missing something?  (Same goes for volume).

3.  The ramping function -- is this basically the same as the Attack parameter in an envelope?  How is it measured?  # of samples?

Sorry for all of the "first-timer" sort of questions.  MPT is wonderful.  Thanks for a great program.

LPChip

I have to admit, that I don't understand all your questions, but I'll try to answer them hoping I understand what you're trying to say...

1. If you load in a sample, it will check what the frequency is. In order to make it sound as recorded on C-4, it will calculate the proper transpose value. This value is associated with a key to make it easier to transpose samples so they match eachother. Depending on the frequency: eg. 44.1 khz, 48khz, 96khz, or any for that matter, it will change the transpose value and the key assigned to it.

2. I don't understand what you mean with the general window, but here's how panning and volume works. Panning needs to be done by the plugin. If it doesn't support panning, then its not possible to change that. (atleast I don't know how) Volume can be controlled outside the plugin, by changing its dry/wet slider, or give a note velocity. Also global volume changes are affective on the VSTi's. Do note that changing the overal volume (either using Vxx or the wet/dry slider) will alter ALL notes playing by that VSTi instance. Individual notes need to be set using the velocity parameter on each note: Eg C-4 01 v64 where v64 is the velocity/volume.

3. At first I was confused with what you mean, but I found out what you mean. The ramping feature allows you to set how much samples are being skipped to avoid sample clicks at its start. These are only effective against samples, and when set, it will override the default value which you can find in the setup->player tab. A sample is "a frame" of the sample itself. If you have a sample with length 16, then the 15th position is 15 samples. The shorter the samples are, the shorter you can set this value to get more clearness in your samples. Note though, that setting it too low will create clicks at the start of the sample which might not be noticed by you, but a trained ear will hear it.

As for your reaction to say sorry, we all had to learn this once, so its okay. :) Feel free to ask another question if its required.

You know what they say: there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

mrvegas

Thank you very much -- I'll experiment a little more with samples and the transpose function, now that I have a better concept of what's going on.

Actually, I didn't know that you could affect velocity through the VSTi in the volume column -- that's good to know.  I thought it only applied to samples.  (Psycle doesn't actually have volume column, you have to set up a separate column to automate VSTi parameters.)

Does the old MPT (1.16) also have ramping? -- I didn't see it.  The only reason I asked is that I have it loaded on an old machine, and the graphics on 1.17RC2 don't work on Win98.

I appreciate your fast reply.  Actually, MPT has me using samples more and more anyway.  Of the free programs, it seems to have a good forum, and the most active development.  The documentation could be a little more complete, but I was able to get most of my questions answered searching the forum -- I just had these few additional ones.

Thanks again.

Sam_Zen

I like to define this a bit :)
Asking about something is a smart thing to do, but still a 'dumb question' is possible, if someone doesn't put any work in the
right description of the question (with this one not the case). Questions like : -It doesn't work. How come ?

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I like to define this a bit :)
Asking about something is a smart thing to do, but still a 'dumb question' is possible, if someone doesn't put any work in the
right description of the question (with this one not the case). Questions like : -It doesn't work. How come ?

Maybe, but the reason why I said there are no dumb questions, is that if you say there are dumb questions, a user might not ask his question and leave our great software. If someone asks a question like this, we can simply answer with: "Can you clearify what doesn't work?" and the outcome will be that another user will be happy because he finally gets the help to get him started. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

Quote from: "mrvegas"Thank you very much -- I'll experiment a little more with samples and the transpose function, now that I have a better concept of what's going on.

Actually, I didn't know that you could affect velocity through the VSTi in the volume column -- that's good to know.  I thought it only applied to samples.  (Psycle doesn't actually have volume column, you have to set up a separate column to automate VSTi parameters.)
Its my pleasure. :)

Quote from: "mrvegas"
Does the old MPT (1.16) also have ramping? -- I didn't see it.  The only reason I asked is that I have it loaded on an old machine, and the graphics on 1.17RC2 don't work on Win98.
No it doesn't Actually this feature has been implemented in RC2.

I appreciate your fast reply.  Actually, MPT has me using samples more and more anyway.  Of the free programs, it seems to have a good forum, and the most active development.  The documentation could be a little more complete, but I was able to get most of my questions answered searching the forum -- I just had these few additional ones.

Thanks again.
Thank you too for your nice words :) We're doing our best to help everyone. You might want to read our online manual (the wiki). It explains alot about OpenMPT, and can be found using the link that is on the main forum page.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "LPChip"
No it doesn't Actually this feature has been implemented in RC2.

It has ramping, but you can't change it. ;)

mrvegas

Good to know -- I had some samples that normally will click without any adjustment, but MPT 1.16 seemed to play them back OK.  1.17RC2 has some really nice improvements.

Sam_Zen

2LPChip
It was more a theoratical remark. I never would say 'stupid question' to something on this forum.