Awful Sound

Started by ImagineAZ, December 16, 2006, 11:59:40

Previous topic - Next topic

ImagineAZ

Hey Everybody,

I had been working solely with vsti's and everything was working perfectly.

Then I added a 16-bit stereo wav sample that I had just recorded.  Since adding the wav in the samples tab, now when I play the song I get a rumbling sound and, depending on what part of the song is playing, sometimes I get computer blips.

If I remove the wav, everything (the vsti's and vst effects I was using before) plays normally again.  I haven't even put the wav into the song; I just opened it into the samples tab.

I have tried changing sound drivers, both for recording and for Modplug, but no luck.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks for any help.

ImagineAZ

Well, I always seem to find the answers to question right after I ask them, so I'll just keep asking when I have a question - it's the path to figuring it out myself.

I forgot that I had switched to a new ASIO driver, which is much better with less latency.  However, it has a problem the old one didn't have, which is what caused me to post this question: the new ASIO driver (ASIO4All) insists that I record samples AND play back in MPT with it.  It seems like with my old ASIO driver, I could use my primary wav device for recording samples, and use the ASIO driver in MPT.  Anyone know a killer all-around-perfect ASIO driver?

Thanks,

Imagine

LPChip

Thanks for giving the solution to your own problem. :) Some people just post, then figure it out themselves, and never come back :)

As for ASIO drivers... If your soundcard has them, use those. If not, then Asio4All is probably the best one. If that doesn't work satisfiedly, and configuring Asio4All doesn't help you, then try the DirectX sound drivers. They usually work with lower latency (around 30 to 70) which is usually enough.

If that really doesn't help, you might want to considder to buy a soundcard. The Creative SB Live is very cheap nowadays and has ASIO support, and still better than an average onboard sound chip.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

ImagineAZ

Thanks LPChip.

By the way, I've used Cubase, Adobe Audition, Mixcraft, Cakewalk, and a bunch more I probably can't remember, and I just can't see why anyone would pay for those when MPT is free.  The fact is that even if I had those other programs here in my home, I'd still use MPT because it's so quick, stable and lean, and it achieves exactly what the other mega-expensive apps do.

I downloaded a Cubase tutorial just out of curiosity, and I was watching it this morning, and I was constantly thinking "It's SO much easier to achieve that with MPT."

All the extra features Cubase has that MPT doesn't have are kind of like adding diamond studs to a bowling ball; they look impressive, but they mostly just get in the way.

Nice job, and thank you.

Imagine

XAVT

Althouigh I have a soft spot in my heart for MPT, I cant agree with you. Cubase handles automation so much easyer then mpt. Not to mention some plugins dont work under mpt and that I have some issues with its rendering quality.. and much more ;)
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

ImagineAZ

Hmm,

Well, help me out if you've got a minute.  What sorts of automation?  And does this ease of automation make up for the extra time it takes to do almost anything else?  I have access to Cubase and I could check it out, but during my brief experiences, I just kept saying to myself "This is so much easier in MPT."

And I haven't run into much that I can't achieve with MPT.  I haven't run into a plugin I couldn't use.  And I like the tracker interface; it's so precise, and if you ever need to be more precise, just keep expanding the pattern size until it's exactly as precise as you need it to be.

Seriously, I'd like to know if Cubase is worth another test.

Thanks.