[noclueonestyle]Weak Inside[mp3]

Started by Asharin, November 21, 2006, 04:33:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Asharin

Not really my usual style, though a simple ish tune like normal:

http://z0mg.myzen.co.uk/mp3/Weak_Inside.mp3

As for the dubject matter, well imagine recieving a Dear John letter, saying she's dumping you for a man who's better than you? :)
Before you ask..no it's never happened to me :P
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

Asharin

I'm dissapointed in Sam Zen, he hasn't critisized this sone yet :(
I miss my Sam comments!!!

Sam_Zen

There could be several reasons for keeping my big mouth shut.
0 - It's just tooooo awful and I don't want to offend people.
1 - It's good and complete. Then I just enjoy listening to it.
X - It's grey and mediocre, just following some virtual standards how it should be. It says nothing, so no answer.

You push me, so I will increase the critical level.
I played it again, and after that, to get a more complete picture, also Solid Gold and NoMore.
First thing is the quite fixed setting of the voice-instrument throughout the songs. I've heard it in others too.
The same happens inside a song as well. Once a setting is chosen, it stays so. Especially in the more basic elements of the background, like percussion. Quite a lot of duplicated patterns it seems, no small changes or small additions.

Asharin

See now that's what I like, your comments alway give decent advice.  Note to self: introduce mofre variety in my music :P

Sam_Zen

Not necessarily.. I noticed some absence of varieties, but if you want it that way, fine by me. Repetition of channels or patterns is easily done in a module. As long as it is a conscious choice in the piece to plainly repeat a (set of) channel(s) in the next patterns, to get a certain impact in the composition, ok. Just copy/paste because the song has to go on, is another thing.
So it was a comment, not so much an advice. More from that second region :

Don't pin yourself too strongly on the idea of making the 'final' piece of composition. With modules there isn't really. You make a piece, listen to it a week later, in a different mood, and you think : - Hmm, this should be played a little bit faster..
Or some instrument seems to be a bit too dominant. Lowering its global volume a bit ?
It can be much easier to handle, by considering some modifications of a piece, as a 'version' instead of the final one after the final one before.
Is a composition really a different one, if one decides to loop pattern 36 8 times instead of 4 times ?
So if you decide to add those tiny variations, be careful to throw away the old one. Better name "Weak_Inside_2" or like that.