[Metal] My first track (ZIP: IT & MP3)

Started by Lithium, November 25, 2006, 08:06:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Lithium

http://lithium.zext.net/theme.zip

It was suppose to be the theme for my new game, but I'm afraid it might not fit. I'm happy I made it however, as tracking is something I always wanted to get into.

Comments are appreciated,

Thanks.
- Lith

CrazyAznGamer

Welcome... to the world... of traaackiiinngg...

Nice to have you on board, sir. Tracking isn't the easiest of things to get into, but it's an intrinsically rewarding experience.
There's a tracker's handbook, I forgot the link... but it's a pretty good resource for tracking. (somebody help me out here)
Also, open up the help manual for MPTracker. There's a list of effects in there that is really helpful for starting out. You can even doubleclick the effects row and set an effect (I mainly use that for checking, as entering effects by mouse is slow).
Ctrl+J and Ctrl+K will eventually become your best friends in MPT. ;D
...well, for some of us, anyways.
To wit, you've gotten over the hardest part of tracking: starting. Get to know your tool, listen to other tracks, experiment, etc. Eventually, you'll look back and note a huge amount of progress.
I know I have. 8)

Browse through www.modarchive.com . It's a really large collection of mods. There's mods everywhere, but that's where I started, and it's very convenient. MPCentral used to have bunches of mods too, but I dunno now...
When going through a song, it's often helpful to look at the techniques, effects, and samples the composer uses, especially when he does something that's really cool and you go "WHOA, how did he do that?" Take a close look at how he did it, what sample he used it with, when, etc. Emulate it, and adapt it into your own compositions.
And... <emperor> et cetera... et cetera... et cetera. </emperor>

Extra note: be wary of some techniques, as they may be outdated or replaced by a better method of doing things. Especially in the old mods. But it doesn't hurt to learn them anyways :wink:

Sorry if I don't give any comments/criticism on your song, but...
aw hell, this message could be longer :P

The intro has that high note on inst 2 that's painful. I'm not sure if it's intentional to be painful, but going with how the rest of the song is, it should be a lot more mellow a sound.
The solo sticks out.... but it drowns the harmony. Bring it out some, the harmony needs some room to breath :lol:

That said, I'll stray from the topic again and ask you about your game. What is it/how is it coming along? Do you need tracks for it? (I'm sure some loving person in these forums wouldn't mind composing a song or two, or donating a few, anyways. :wink: )

Lithium

Thanks for the tips!

And yeah, it was suppose to be painfull, I guess... Being a hardcore death metal fan, I'm used too such sounds :)

As for the game, it's called "AntiMan", here's a link to a post about it:
http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6455

The game is in it's final stages, it just needs 3 more levels, sound, and music.

Once again, thanks.
- Lith

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "CrazyAznGamer"MPCentral used to have bunches of mods too, but I dunno now...
Our great MisterX is rebuilding and enhancing the MP Download Center, http://download.modplug.com/
Nice words, by the way. And a good point about using the keyboard, often far more efficient while working.
Talking about the MP Helpfile.. Where can I find it ? I've already missed it in the package for several versions..

2 Lithium
You'll need much more to make me suffer any pain..:) To me it's just a high-pitched flute, with some tremolo in it, where the effect is obviously in the sample, because the speed of the vibration changes with the notes.
I guess this piece is not meant to be hardcore death metal, it has more some touch of a medieval tune to me.
I still find it quite difficult to review work made for games. Maybe because they are not meant to be a complete final composition, but more as material, being used in the game. But I would need more techinfo about this process tracker2game, to get a good opinion.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Talking about the MP Helpfile.. Where can I find it ? I've already missed it in the package for several versions..
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=607.0

Sam_Zen

Cool ! It works. Beta-version too. Thanks a lot.