Higher quality sample importing

Started by seventhson, September 28, 2006, 00:33:38

Previous topic - Next topic

seventhson

Right now we're able to import 16 bit wave files into modplug,but i'd kinda like it if we were able to also import 24 and 32 bit samples.
What you guys think?

Sam_Zen

A higher import rate isn't one of my priorities. So far I've worked with full satisfaction using 16-bit 44 kHz.
I understand the option to be able to export to some higher rates though, for multitrack-mixing, etc.

The race to faster and more bits will lead eventually to the imitation of an analog system, by the way.

Higher quality... There are natural boundaries. Is any human capable of hearing the difference between a sample using 1024 bits or 512 bits wide ? I doubt it.

Snu

this has been requested, and its on the to do list. something im really looking forward to also.
sam: btw, there are arguments about if 44khz versus 96khz is actually an audible difference, but the difference between 16bit and 24bit is quite obvious.
also, the more bits the sample you start with is, the less noise will be introduced when you change the volume.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"A higher import rate isn't one of my priorities. So far I've worked with full satisfaction using 16-bit 44 kHz.

That's great for you! But if like me you had some GBs of samples in 24 bit format I'm sure you'd appreciate the ability to at least import them, even if they'd still be 16 bit in MPT.

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I understand the option to be able to export to some higher rates though, for multitrack-mixing, etc.
Isn't multitrack mixing exactly what MPT does? With the addition of resampling, which would surely improve with higher quality samples.

seventhson

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "Sam_Zen"A higher import rate isn't one of my priorities. So far I've worked with full satisfaction using 16-bit 44 kHz.

That's great for you! But if like me you had some GBs of samples in 24 bit format I'm sure you'd appreciate the ability to at least import them, even if they'd still be 16 bit in MPT.

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I understand the option to be able to export to some higher rates though, for multitrack-mixing, etc.
Isn't multitrack mixing exactly what MPT does? With the addition of resampling, which would surely improve with higher quality samples.

Exactly,that's my feeling also. I have some samplecd's that are in 24 bit but it's a pain in the ass to have to convert them all to 16 bit just to be able to use them in mpt.

Sam_Zen

You all have convinced me with clear and strong aruments.

Relabsoluness

Actually MPT can import 24 bit wav's(try opening such file as module file), and the fact that importing such files as samples doesn't end up in right result is simply due to a couple of lousy bugs. Also it seems that 32 bit(not float) import was already there in 1.16 but I'm not sure did it work - I don't have such wav available so I could try.

SoundCrafter

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"Isn't multitrack mixing exactly what MPT does? With the addition of resampling, which would surely improve with higher quality samples.

I think what he's referring to here is split-channel or multi-channel rendering, where you render each channel as a wav and mix it in mixing software?
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"
Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"Isn't multitrack mixing exactly what MPT does? With the addition of resampling, which would surely improve with higher quality samples.

I think what he's referring to here is split-channel or multi-channel rendering, where you render each channel as a wav and mix it in mixing software?

Yes he most likely did, which is why I challenged the idea that high sample quality would be more important when mixing in another piece of software.