[Bebop] The Lone (OGG)

Started by Sam_Zen, November 25, 2006, 03:49:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Talking about jazz. Mostly made with multi-sound samples, like chords, riffs and bar-loops : The Lone - 2:21 (OXnr 0312)

CrazyAznGamer

It's an interesting composition. The horn (is it a sax?) in the 0:50ish area and again at around 2:10 sorta sounded like like a car honking frustratingly after the song built up tension. It feels rather humorous to me, like I'm watching Mr. Bean try to act like a detective or something. I especially loved the ending.

Oh, and thanks for putting up those samples.

apple-joe

I think I have to check out this one. Comments later.

Sam_Zen

A sax indeed. Humorous is a nice impression, because I tried to make the playing of the sax being rather desperately.
And more samples will come.

apple-joe

This is great. Chaotic feel, but that's maybe the most important reason why I like it. I don't have any specific comments right now, I just enjoyed the entire piece. One of my favourites by you I think.

EDIT: I can't find the thread for "AKStwin1", that's the one I am listening to next.

Quite a 'busy' feel of the intro. A stronger focus on the percussion is shining through as the song moves on. Those crazy sounds panned to the right slightly before 2:30 almost made me laugh. Nice. Ok, now I hear a "response", panned to the left. Excellent. Are you suggesting a certain contact/communication? At least an attempt to which.

This one, and "The Lone", are definitely high on my ranking of your music.

4:34, what the hell is going on? He he. Extremely mysterious mumbling.

Around 5:50, now it sounds again, what is the word? "Parrrk, parrrk"?

6:50, now the main instrument gets intense again.

This is not very accessible music, but SamZen, I got to praise your creativity. I'd be able to listen to such a song over and over without getting tired more than the standard pop song I believe. Not that there is anything wrong about standard pop music, but you certainly have this extra edge to your tracks.

OK, now it's about to end. Thunder/wind related sounds and the main instruments is about to disappear.

Great song.

Sam_Zen

I decided to remove the thread to "AKStwin1" shortly after, because I wasn't sure, it was something worth to publish.
Things like this are not compositions in the strict sense, but just a recording when I'm improvising with the equipment.
You made a nice review through time, by the way.
Maybe this could be called "instant-composing", I don't know. Improvisation here means turning real knobs and real switches, while
the synth is running along. Of course the analog synth starts from a preset configuration of module-connections, but I can change
the various combinations and mutual influences on the fly. So these Thunder/wind related sounds are the same source as the 'hihat-like
sounds in the percussion, only then heard during a tick. I go technical, but this was in fact a technical experiment, because for the first time I checked some trigger-pulse connections from the Synthi to my 'twin-set' with two Casio SK-1 sample keyboards.
To let them play along in some synchronised way.
These are the sounds on the far left and right. So, for the test, I spoke a word in each of them as a sample.
"Parrk" on the left ? I can't recall (memclean at shut-off). At right I sampled "Waar". Dutch, can mean both "where" and "true".

Your words really encourage me to pay more attention to this part of my work. Thanks.

apple-joe

Yeah,  I greatly enjoy those analog recordings. It seems like sometimes - maybe quite often - what one might not think will be appreciated, is enjoyed quite a bit after all.

Sam_Zen

It's the destiny of re-playable music. If it's made for instant success, the interest in it will decrease most of the times if played over and over again. Because there's nothing behind it, that's still to discover. The other approach starts from a quite unaccessible position, the 'underdog-position'. This doesn't guarantee success on that long term however. It still is fairly possible, that I will dislike a piece, even after ten repetitions. If it's good, I will discover more and more.

A tiny correction here : It was not an analog recording, but digital, with the pc. The Synthi is analog, but the Casio is a pure digital keyboard.

apple-joe

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
A tiny correction here : It was not an analog recording, but digital, with the pc. The Synthi is analog, but the Casio is a pure digital keyboard.

Yeah, I mixed up a bit.