.the.time.signature.tracking.compo

Started by cdnalsi, November 09, 2006, 15:54:11

Previous topic - Next topic

cdnalsi

Yay! Time for another compo!
This time only for trackers (yes Renoise and Madtrackers too) :P

The thing about this compo is that no 4/4 or square-ish time signatures are allowed. The deal is to make something very creative from a rhythmical point of view. But not only. The points of judgement will be Creativity, Originality, and another secret point which you will find out after the deadline As secret as the second judge who will cast his wisdom upon your tracks. I'll be the other judge.

Deadline: 1st of December, 2006

Info, rules, and such - here: http://cdn.untergrund.net/timesignature

Good Luck!
Questions? fire away

Sam_Zen

Very nice initiative. But I won't participate, because this short deadline is way out of tune with my way of composing.
Maybe I could get it on time with a revised old one, but that's outruled.

Snu

i agree with sam, good idea for a compo, but man that is a close deadline... ill try to come up with a song tho.

apple-joe

I'm gonna try to create something. Very interesting compo as I always try different rhythms these days.

On the compo site there are some time signatures listed under the "allowed time signatures" section. I couldn't find 9/8 there - how come? 6/8 is listed.

I take it for granted that 9/8 is allowed, or else 6/8 would probably not be allowed either.

cdnalsi

apple-joe: Yeah 9/8 is allowed, you imagine I couldn't write down all of them ;)

Sam and Snu: well, I didn't want to have a never-ending compo. Besides - 20 days. Can't you come up with anything in 20 days? :)

KrazyKatz

Dont suppose we can use free VST effect plugins, for integration into OMPT and send them along with the file?
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

cdnalsi

no external files, sorry, no. That's why I put the renoise rule as well..

Sam_Zen

I don't want to talk hobby again, but this thing about notations like 9/8 and 6/8 proves the quick diffusion in western options when it comes to 'odd' time-signatures. If these things would be approached from a more mathematical perspective (also better fitting in electronic conditions i.m.o.), things become much more clear.
Then cdnalsi's restrictions can be translated into : No powers of 2, only prime numbers as a basic for a repeating cycle.
Then a cycle of 10 is ok too, because it has the base-number 5. In that view both 9/8 and 6/8 are based on 3, so ok too.

QuoteI didn't want to have a never-ending compo. Besides - 20 days. Can't you come up with anything in 20 days?
A never-ending compo could be a nice idea for another project.
Of course I can come up with something in 20 days, but it probably would still be in some embryonic state, not satisfying enough to my taste to publish it. But I will go along with Snu now : I will try.

cdnalsi

Great!

Remember the deadline: 1st Dec. 2006! :)

georg

I don't understand the complaints, there's plenty of time. Count me in, that last place is looking veeery tasty...
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

Sam_Zen

cdnalsi

the compo is off due to the small no. of entries :(

thanks

Snu

:(
well, maybe it can be extended? i have a song but its not done yet...
maybe im not the only one? i hope?

KrazyKatz

Bloody hell,

Im busy uploading my piece right now... Its taking forever though...

How annoying. I worked very hard on it.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

cdnalsi

Yes, well, there are 5 entries and I just don't feel it's right to have a voting and reviewing session for only 5 entries. However, I will give extended feedback on each of the tracks on the website in a couple of days.
The fact is that I can't extend the deadline. In the next month and a half my schedule will be quite full, and I won't have time to deal properly with this, and I apologize.

But I don't want you who entered to feel disappointed about this, so I'll work on some reviews.

Cheers!