Can't get MIDI Controller working, help me please

Started by kashim, December 10, 2006, 19:08:19

Previous topic - Next topic

kashim

I did use that midi controller I have used in modplug tracker a long time ago, I think it was ~4-5 years ago. I am trying to plug it back in MPT in WinXP, I prefer MPT 1.16 to OpenMPT because the open source version causes a lot of bugs on my system, leading to many crashes and non critical error message box (too much to discuss in one topic). But anyway I just want to setup my controller in any version that will work. I got a pretty basic controller, I can set Program, Channel, Bank, on it, but it only has midi out, so no speaker no sounds, I need to send that midi signal to the computer and get it processed on the pc. The Midi input device in the midi tab of the settings dialog is correct: Creative MPU-401. I am not too sure, what to do about the ~4 checkboxes below, but I don't think its that much an issue. Last time I used that controller with modplug, it worked just like my computer keyboard would, I did type on the midi keys and sounds were playing in Pattern, Sample and Instrument tab view, but now nothing works, as if the signal is not received by the computer or as if the signal is not processed the way it was in previous versions. I did try to match the Channel and / or Program and / or Bank settings in the Instrument tab according to the current settings of my midi controller, but it did'nt help to get the controller working, anyway to me it seems that part is for midi out and I dont have that option on my controller. I know the controller is working well with "Creative MPU-401" input device and controller plugged in joystick port, and output to a midi set of instruments on my sound card either microsoft (roland licensed) or Creative midi, because it works that way in other midi software. I tried to give as much info as possible so there must be something I forgot to setup, any advice would be appreciated. Also, if you know where I could get a very old version < 1.16, I would like to try it with that because I remember I got it working in the past.

Relabsoluness

If it works fine in other applications, and there is correct "Midi input device" in setup->midi, all I can think of is that 'midi record' is off: check player-menu next to file-menu at the upper left corner of the screen.

Quote from: "kashim"I prefer MPT 1.16 to OpenMPT because the open source version causes a lot of bugs on my system, leading to many crashes and non critical error message box (too much to discuss in one topic).
What version of OpenMPT you were using(latest 'official' release is 1.17 RC2)? Just curious because I haven't experienced or heard of practically any unstabilities in latest versions(at least in beta-builds :)).

Quote from: "kashim"Also, if you know where I could get a very old version < 1.16, I would like to try it with that because I remember I got it working in the past.
Old version can be found from the net; the oldest I have found somewhere is 1.06

kashim

Thank you very much, that did the trick

I thought it was a lame one, but actually did'nt think it was that stupid  :oops:

I am using latest version of the old MPT (before open source) 1.16xx
Most of the bugs I have with OpenMPT are related to file handling I think, it pops an error message box telling me it could'nt read write the file on the hard drive, this happens always when saving options or loading the options "default.mkb". Other bugs are quite hard to track down, some  might be because my P3 can't stand heavy calculations.

Anyway, MPT is a very good program, the only thing I am missing in it is VST effects automation, but I can still fake it most of the time.