[MUX, scenes] Shrimp (MOD)

Started by Sam_Zen, September 12, 2006, 04:16:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

A quite lengthy intro, I suppose.
4 channels - 15 lq samples - 5:04
The, condensed as usual, version can be found here

apple-joe

Gloomy intro. I like the alternative way of incorporating rhythms. Also this song contains several sound effects, which provides for a more 'spiced-up' general impression.

... Reaching pattern 20 now and this sounds very different. Some people with a very traditional mind when it comes to music would probably describe this as noise, especially the second half of the track, but I myself am able to enjoy this.

Sam_Zen

What do you mean by "this song contains several sound effects, which provides for a more 'spiced-up' general impression." ?
(In the meantime I have updated the piece, removing some small errors in the pattern-row.)
In a way I also have a traditional mind, because I always consider the basic electronic traditions.
And noise ? Isn't music just organized noise ? Air-vibrations controlled by humans.
Since the start of electronics a lot of traditional definitions had to be changed and are still changing.
Before that, noise was defined as. let's say, anything audible, outside the musical traditions.
Now, noise is just another available sound source to be part of a composition.
If the expression 'noise' doesn't relate to a sound, but more to some bigger,'chaotic' part of a score, it's probably because the clear structure isn't on the surface any more, but a bit harder to find, especially with traditional ears.
But you say you enjoyed this, so I reckon you found the structure, despite the layer of confusion.

apple-joe

By 'sound effects' I mean: gun sounds, voice etc.

Well, the term 'noise' is a debatable expression. However, play pattern 20 -> 25 from the track, for instance. Consider the sound. Then think about a random Bach or Mozart song. Compare. Do you understand? Yes, your track is structured, but when it comes to the melodic sense; it is VERY loose - hence I presume some individuals might describe it as 'noise' (regardless of the track's rhythmical nature or structure!), especially if all they've been listening to is classical music.

That said, you're right - I, personally, liked the track.

Sam_Zen

I'm sure it's quite difficult for people who are used to Bach. But this is electronics. And I'm pretty sure it will be difficult for people who are used to listen to tradional Taiwanese folkmusic as well. And one can wonder what Mozart would have done if he did have sequencers available.

BTW as far as comparison with tradition is concerned, I think it's good to know, that my format is closer to the jazz-model, my musical 'roots', than to the European classic. So more like : Theme - Improvisations - Theme.
QuoteBy 'sound effects' I mean: gun sounds, voice etc.
I see. This has also to do with a difference in perception.
To me, no soundsource whatever is considered a 'sound effect'. Sound effects are modulators of the source, like
filters and reverb. Because, especially with tracking, every soundsource (sample) can be treated as an instrument.
One could play a melody with a gunshot.
In some songs I have a melody, but the individual notes of the melody are being played by different instruments.
It's possible, so I use it, if there is some reason behind it.

apple-joe

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I'm sure it's quite difficult for people who are used to Bach. But this is electronics. And I'm pretty sure it will be difficult for people who are used to listen to tradional Taiwanese folkmusic as well. And one can wonder what Mozart would have done if he did have sequencers available.

Yeah, but then there would still be a difference between the material Mozart created without sequencers, and the material he created with sequencers. Bottom line is, most of your tracks are not very accessible what concerns melodic ideas - sometimes, there barely is a focus on melody, and when there is; it's VERY open/free. However, I enjoy that, because I'm listening to many genres.

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
BTW as far as comparison with tradition is concerned, I think it's good to know, that my format is closer to the jazz-model, my musical 'roots', than to the European classic. So more like : Theme - Improvisations - Theme.

Believe me, I have perceived that.

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
I see. This has also to do with a difference in perception.
To me, no soundsource whatever is considered a 'sound effect'. Sound effects are modulators of the source, like
filters and reverb. Because, especially with tracking, every soundsource (sample) can be treated as an instrument.
One could play a melody with a gunshot.
In some songs I have a melody, but the individual notes of the melody are being played by different instruments.
It's possible, so I use it, if there is some reason behind it.

I understand. I think you have a more sophisticated view on this than I have. I have just developed into dividing between melodic and/or rhythmic instruments (instruments!) on one hand, and sounds (a gun, a car, an animal, thunder, rain, etc) on the other hand. When I think about it now, I think your approach is more healthy. If you record a dog that's barking, and create a sample of it, I'm sure you'd be able to come up with a melodic idea - in a strange way.