Hello and a couple of questions

Started by Winget, August 23, 2006, 21:23:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Winget

I've just started using ModPlug and I'm very impressed. After using cubase that crashed my pc too often, something that is far more impressive for nothing!

My question - Can I get more than one VST effect on a VST instrument? I can't seem to work this one out.

Is there to set up automatic pattern effects, or do I have to do them individually.

Thanks for your help.

SoundCrafter

Welcome to the fantabulistic world of Modplug! Let me be the first to greet you to this fine community of fellow musicians. What kind of music do you like/write?

Now to your questions. More than one effect on a VSTi? I don't know. Supposedly if you open up your VSTi via the Edit button, at the top of the menu you should be able to select output, then send it through a VST, but I've never gotten this to work.  Another idea is to make an instrument then assign the VST to the instrument.  Then, confine the instrument to one channel, then apply a VST to that channel.

As for automated effects, no. But, try this. If you know what you want your starting and ending values of the effect you want to 'automate', plug those in in their respective locations, then highlight the entire column, right click, and select 'Interpolate Effect'

I know its not quite clear, so if you need anymore help, I'll be here.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"More than one effect on a VSTi? I don't know. Supposedly if you open up your VSTi via the Edit button, at the top of the menu you should be able to select output, then send it through a VST, but I've never gotten this to work.

That won't work ;)

You need to select what VST you want to route the ouput to in "output to" on the "general" tab.

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"Another idea is to make an instrument then assign the VST to the instrument.  Then, confine the instrument to one channel, then apply a VST to that channel.

That won't work. ;)

You need to assign pluigns EITHER to an instrument or to a channel. I would suggest not using VST effects on channels unless you're only using sample based instruments (not VSTis)

rncekel

You can have as many vst acting on any instrument as you want. Just redirect the output of the first vst to the 2nd, and so on (in the General tab, look for "Mix settings", "Output to"). Notice that the order in which you load the vst counts; you can redirect the output only to vst that have been loaded AFTER, but that is not a problem, since you can change the order (General tab, "Effect plugins" area, "Move"; this let you move the selected vst to an empty slot).

xincbox

crap, all this time i've been just using two channels with the same instrument / sample line with two different effects

:?

Winget

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"Welcome to the fantabulistic world of Modplug! Let me be the first to greet you to this fine community of fellow musicians. What kind of music do you like/write?

I like all sorts of stuff, electronic (older stuff like Kraftwerk, early Human League, newer stuff like Photek, Squarepusher) I also like extreme metal and dub reggae.

As for stuff I write, depends what mood I'm in, usually ambient, sometime D&B, but at the moment I'm doing minimalist techno in the vein of Plastikman

Thanks for all your help!

SoundCrafter

QuoteThanks for all your help!
Anytime  8)

Kraftwerk, eh? Not a bad group. Squarepusher's pretty tight too. Y'ever listen to any Tiesto?
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.