How do I extract instruments from soundfonts correctly?

Started by Joshiii-Kun, August 20, 2006, 14:57:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshiii-Kun

I need to make one of my modules portable so that it can be used for a game. I used a VSTi with the SMG180 soundfont, and I'm wondering if I could somehow extract some instruments from that soundfont and import those into OpenMPT.
Are there freeware programs for that?

KrazyKatz

"CDXTRACT" is the Program you are looking for.

http://www.cdxtract.com/

It is an outstanding program but not free. The Demo however allows you to convert the first instrument and may prove useful.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Joshiii-Kun

Hmm it seems to be interesting, yes. Too bad it isn't free :P

MisterX

Awave Studio is a great program for converting SoundFonts as well as Akai sample CDs and other formats.  It can convert directly to ITI for use in MODPlug Tracker.  Like CDExtract, it is not free, but does offer a freeware version:

http://www.fmjsoft.com/awavestudio.html
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

LPChip

Do note that multi-layered soundfonts cannot be converted to .ITI files.

Well technically they can, but it will probably sound bad.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

MisterX

Quote from: "LPChip"Do note that multi-layered soundfonts cannot be converted to .ITI files.

Well technically they can, but it will probably sound bad.

They can, you just need to do each layer as a new ITI. ;)

As an example, I have converted a multilayered GIG violin instrument into several ITI instruments, such as:

violin_f.iti
violin_ff.iti
violin_mf.iti
violin_p.iti

You can then use the appropriate instrument(s) in your composition.
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft

LPChip

Oh, good technique! Does require him to edit his song though (atleast if his song uses multilayered soundfonts.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

MisterX

Quote from: "LPChip"Oh, good technique! Does require him to edit his song though (atleast if his song uses multilayered soundfonts.

Unless the newer version of MPT allows for triggering different instruments based on velocity (volume), then yeah, the song would have to be edited to replace the instruments with the proper ones.  I don't have that issue since I use the instruments from the beginning. ;)

I assume that multi-layered instruments have been a feature request for some time now?  Perhaps the following:

*.MPI - MODPlug Instrument Format.  Allows the user to load multiple instruments, add them to a "group", and define the sectors of the group using a parameter such as velocity, pitch, panning, MIDI macro, etc.

To use my previous example, I would add each of the above instruments to a group called "Violin", and then define the group using the volume:

00 - 10   violin_pp.iti
11 - 30   violin_mf.iti
31 - 45   violin_f.iti
46 - 64   violin_ff.iti

MPT would then use the appropriate instrument depending on how the group is defined.  If we use the "group" approach, and allow the group to be saved in its own format, it would still allow for each individual instrument of the group to be accessed in the MPT pattern area just by using its instrument ID.  

Therefore, I could load each of the violin ITI files into Instrument #s 1,2,3 and 4 and then Instrument # 5 could be the "group" instrument.

Seems like it would be a good approach to MultiLayered Instruments, but it would require that the instruments be separated to begin with...  :?
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft

LPChip

How about those instruments that have samples that play at the same time?

MisterX

Quote from: "LPChip"How about those instruments that have samples that play at the same time?

All that my proposed *.MPI format is doing is allowing the mapping of Instruments based on something in addition to the Instrument selected in the Instrument/Sample column of the pattern editor, so the structure of the individual Instrument file, and the internal mapping of the samples within the Instrument itself shouldn't be an issue.  :?
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft

LPChip

I have soundfonts that play 2 samples at the same time. One for its "attack strike" with a specified volume, and one with the actual tone, with a different volume.

Snu

i still think it would be best to use the sfz format, or even implement a soundfont player; rather then creating yet another file format that does the same thing.

MisterX

Quote from: "Snu"i still think it would be best to use the sfz format, or even implement a soundfont player; rather then creating yet another file format that does the same thing.

This is true, I do like that sfz plugin, but I was proposing something that would work with any sample format that MPT supports, not just SF2 files.

As always, it's just an idea... ;)
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft

KrazyKatz

Ive been checking out this Awave Studio and have a Question?

Each instrument in a sound library is presented in two layers ( left and right ) which would ordinarily play at the same time. But when I convert the instrument into an *.IT file, it can only convert one channel into the instrument. How do I convert stereo sampled instruments into a single .IT file?

In general I use CdXtract and manually convert the wavs and build them into an .IT in Modplug, but this is a long and painstaking process and I would love to have a program do it at the touch of a button.

Thanks..
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

How about extracting only the left channel of the instrument, and use CDExtract to get the stereo samples, then replace the mono samples with the stereo ones?