How do I shut off an instrument?

Started by Kontraster, August 07, 2006, 18:59:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Kontraster

I?m new at making my own music, therefore my qustions can bee rather stupid, but... anyway:

Let us say that I have used an instrument in Channel 1, but in the middle of the song, I don?t want the intrument to be heard any longer. I first thought that I could just stop creating notes, but... I then noticed that the intrument still was heard, in a long, monoton sound. So... how do I shut it off totally, in the middle of the song, so I don?t hear it at all?

This problem also appears when the instrument is "played", the tones doesn?t get any distinct end between the notes. What have I missed? I would be most pleased for suggestions.

And... off course this problem never appears with drum sounds. They are polite enough to end when the notes end.

Relabsoluness

Maybe you should use note off's(==) and/or note cuts(^^). Example:

|C-501......|C-502......
|...........|...........
|...........|...........
|...........|^^ 02......
|== 01......|...........

Also, if you don't want the samples to loop indefinitely, you can change this for example by adding volume envelope for the instrument from the instrument tab.

Kontraster

LPChip

Just a suggestion: If you see the main index of the forum, there's one item called OpenMPT Online Manual (wiki). If you go there, you can find lots of info about mpt.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs