Main Menu

Confused

Started by Violette, July 03, 2006, 03:22:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Violette

I got this from another forum:

Quote"VST is a plugin technology that allows you to use Synthesizers and Effects in order to shape your sound.  It allows you to go outside a normal trackers' restricted effects.  However for distribution, you need the people on the other side to have the VST plugin as well."

So does this mean that the listener won't hear the soundfonts I'm using, for example, because for MPT to use soundfonts it needs a Vst plugin, and if the above is true, well you know..... :oops:

Squirrel Havoc

To distribute the module file, you would have to include any external files it uses, such as sound fonts (if the are loaded with a VSTi) and VST(i) files you use.
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Violette

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"To distribute the module file, you would have to include any external files it uses, such as sound fonts (if the are loaded with a VSTi) and VST(i) files you use.

Thanks...

When you say I'd have to include external files, do you mean I'd have to zip them alongside the module, and the person on the other end would have to go through the hassle of installing those files? Or is there a way to just save it all into the mod?

LPChip

If you want to distribute the source, eg. the module, you'd need to also include the soundfont and its plugin.

However, if you render your song to wav, and convert it to mp3 or ogg, you don't have to do so.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

georg

Quote from: "Violette"
Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"To distribute the module file, you would have to include any external files it uses, such as sound fonts (if the are loaded with a VSTi) and VST(i) files you use.

Thanks...

When you say I'd have to include external files, do you mean I'd have to zip them alongside the module, and the person on the other end would have to go through the hassle of installing those files? Or is there a way to just save it all into the mod?

There's no way to include it in the mod, and yes it is a hassle. That's why few people are doing it. But if you use VSTs and soundfonts and you wish to share your music in a tracked format then you have no other choice. However VST authors may not appretiate the fact that you are distributing their software. So to be fair to everyone you'd have to include links to sites where those can be downloaded. As you can see this is a major hassle, so i would only recommend you use it to share your work with a small community or group of friends.

Rendering to WAV is the best option. You can allways give someone the tracked version + other needed files if they ask for it.
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

Violette

Thanks very much.

...or maybe I should just convert the soundfont to .wav...if I can find a converter that does that.

speed-goddamn-focus

This may seem like a stupid question, but are you sure you're using a VSTi?

As MPT has some basic support for soundfonts, it should work loading samples directly. Just use "Add Soundbank" from the file menu and then load the samples by dragging them from the treeview.