some little remarks on MPT vs. Rns

Started by cyperkid, June 25, 2006, 07:00:45

Previous topic - Next topic

cyperkid

to avoid spamming the "why" thread i would continue here (if there's anything more to say/comment from you...)

Quote from: "LPChip"
C'mon... Just take a look on a screenshot of renoise, and pretend you don't know what a tracker is... Doesn't it look very unusual?

MODPlug Tracker is so different because of its easy interface. You look at it and think: Oh, I can do this...

You look at Renoise, and you think: So many buttons to get into menu's... So confusing...

ok, on psychological approach i might agree.
but personally i'm not afraid of challenging myself. and i don't have problems if guys don't have patience getting used to a program...
coming to the point of aesthetics, i have to say that for myself modplug somehow looses.
personally, to say the thruth...i'm not very enthused about the modplug-outfit, its "windows style"...that's why i still get nights over sitting on FT2 and have only a short soundcheck at MPT to get an idea how it "works" on nowadays technology.
when working with MPT i don't feel like sitting comfortably in my homelike room, it's like sitting in an office and having to work on something. this sober and functional MPT outfit/atmosphere actually makes it more difficult for me... :oops:

...but these are incidentals
...though sometimes i wish there would be some other skins for MPT  :lol:
commodore stole my childhood

LPChip

I agree on the skinning part. Renoise looks better, but also looks more confusing.

I never worked with fast tracker for that very same reason. Well I have tried it out, but was too limited due to its confusing way with menu's and loading samples and instruments and all kinds of unlogical ways.

For that reason, I'm glad MPT allows XP's skinning. It doesn't look windows like to me anymore, just because of this skinning. True, all my windows look like that, but even considdered that, its good.

And if you hate that default windows skin, why not install a program like windowsblind or stylexp to change the appearance? for instance, there's a half-life2 skin for stylexp which gives mpt such a great feel.

I guess, there's a way to fix this "we're in windows" feeling, and thats by having an option to go full screen, which removes the taskbar and title bar.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Waxhead

I like it when programs use the standard windows look. This will also make stuff cleaner and simpler when (if) microsoft allows to skin each application individualy from the rest.
I usualy dislike programs that use their own custom GUI but I actually liked renoise and to be honest I think modplug looks more confusing for beginners than Renoise. Renoise somehow reminds me of old Amiga programs before Kickstart 37.175 (Workbench 2.x) when everyone had to create their own style. - Regardless I think OpenMPT should stick to the standardlook for now.

LPChip

Quote from: "Waxhead"I like it when programs use the standard windows look. This will also make stuff cleaner and simpler when (if) microsoft allows to skin each application individualy from the rest.
I usualy dislike programs that use their own custom GUI but I actually liked renoise and to be honest I think modplug looks more confusing for beginners than Renoise. Renoise somehow reminds me of old Amiga programs before Kickstart 37.175 (Workbench 2.x) when everyone had to create their own style. - Regardless I think OpenMPT should stick to the standardlook for now.

Did you knew at first sight that Disk Op was for loading in samples and such? Yeah? Well, I was looking for a file button or something.

EDIT: I've looked at screenshots of Renoise, and it could be that they changed the interface to a more user friendlier one. I remember it looking like FT2 alot, but that seems to be less the case. I still find MPT's pattern editor better than renoise's though, because MPT colors everything in there, where renoise only has row-hihlighting.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Waxhead

LMFAO - Well I prefer ModPlug over renoise anytime but it honestly didn't look that confusing ;) - And that disk op thing... Well I'm a old ProTracker freak so I guess it just felt natural.......