The Percussion Compo

Started by cdnalsi, June 11, 2006, 01:06:16

Previous topic - Next topic

cdnalsi

Okay, this time a serious compo. It's time to take matters into hands, and do a percussive competition.

Presenting: The Percussion Compo

Quick Rules:
* No musical samples/instruments allowed (piano/bass/synths)
* No musical percussion instruments allowed (marimba/vibes/glockenspiel)
* Rhythm creativity counts!
* and so on...

Check out the site for more details: http://www.cdnalsi.net/percussion
If you have any questions, please fire away!

Good luck!

apple-joe

Very interesting. I might have a try.

Sam_Zen

I won't try, because I find the rules too quick.
Any sample/instrument can be modulated to create a percussive sound. And any sampled percussion instrument has a range of 7 octaves. These are strong potentials of the tracker-format. It's a pity to exclude this.

But perhaps you mean : No tonal or melodic elements.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"No tonal or melodic elements.

I hope so too, cus otherwise, it would also exclude something simple as a tom, which makes this too hard imho.

Are congo drums also excluded?

and what about something as simple as a drum computer, like a 303?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

cdnalsi

Hmm, some strange replies  :?

The thing is, I thought it was clear when I put the drumset that you can use toms (the toms being part of a drumset). You can also use congas, bongos, shakers, triangles whatever. I was talking about _melodical_ percussion instruments such as the vibes or marimba..

Oh and 303 is allowed, as an exception.

rewbs

Interesting exception.

What kind of effects are allowed on the beat?

(And what's with these all-image webpages? :) Made sense for the crap compo, but I'm not sure it's really a good idea)

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "cdnalsi"Oh and 303 is allowed, as an exception.
I think you mean the 606, the 707, the 808 and/or the 909. ;)

rewbs

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "cdnalsi"Oh and 303 is allowed, as an exception.
I think you mean the 606, the 707, the 808 and/or the 909. ;)

But those are drums, so they would not be an exception.

cdnalsi

Dang you got me all confused  :lol:

I was thinking about the 808/909. The 303 are not allowed since they are synths. And for effects, of course you can use any kind of reverb, delay, phazer... but try not to screw the sounds too much...

@rewbs: I don't know.. I find it so much easier to work with images instead of html code. I dig Dreamweaver, but I guess it's just a matter of taste..

LPChip

Would it be appreciated if I'd submit jungle beats?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

xaimus

Quote from: "cdnalsi"The 303 are not allowed since they are synths.
:(
I was so happy when I first read that the 303 was an exception.  :(
Someone (who is not me) should organize a tb303 compo.  :D

cdnalsi

@LPChip: It doesn't really matter what genre your entry is. But the reviews will take into account your rhythmical creativity!

@Xaimus: Yeah, sorry about that..

Sam_Zen

This confusion about what no and what yes is, is caused mainly by a classical point of view on instruments.

If one skips that, and rely purely on the electronic conditions, with their own rules, then the division becomes quite clear.

With electronics, the source of the basic sound doesn't matter. One can modulate the sound. As long as the result sounds 'percussive', it should, in this case, be allowed to use in a Percussion Compo.

cdnalsi

You are so very right Sam_Zen!

But still take into note that it shouldn't use the instruments melodically. Like to create some scales or anything. Just pure rhythm.

LPChip

Quote from: "cdnalsi"You are so very right Sam_Zen!

But still take into note that it shouldn't use the instruments melodically. Like to create some scales or anything. Just pure rhythm.

Can I conclude, that as long as you use it as drums, so without using anykind of melodic structure, it is okay to use? Also if you'd use a sample of a glass breaking in pieces to be played as somekind of snaredrum, it'd be okay?