how to envelope a vst instrument

Started by pera, May 30, 2006, 18:48:23

Previous topic - Next topic

pera

can i do this with openmpt?
because I need make short notes (1/16, 1/32) in the pathern for a bassline..

LPChip

You can't make a VST Instrument with OpenMPT, but you can use samples with instruments.

As I'm not entirelly sure what you are after, I fail to see if that is enough for what you want to accomplish.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

pera

sorry.. i'm too bad writing in english :P

i'm going to try to explain it again: I want to use VB-1 to make a very simple bassline like this:

C-3 01 .. ..
C-3 01 .. ..
C-3 01 .. ..
..  ..  ..  ..

time 4/4

but each note must be very short (like 1/16)..

I don't want to sample VB-1 C-3 note because i need change some parameter with macros..

u understand me now :S? (if somebody talk spanish it would be more easy :oops:)

thanks

MisterX

?Puede usted doblar el tempo de su canci?n e incorporar las notas como esto?

C-3 01 .. ..
^^  01 .. ..
C-3 01 .. ..
^^  01 .. ..
etc...

No s? si los instrumentos de VST responden a la nota de comando.

(Can you double the tempo or speed of your song and enter the notes as displayed above, with note cut commands?  I don't know if VST Instruments respond to the note off, though...)
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

LPChip

Do I understand correctly that VB-1 is a VSTInstrument? If so, can't you tweak its parameters to emit a short note? Like by using a decay parameter, or sustain/release?

Usually in VSTi's they talk about the following 4 parameters. I'll explain what they do.

Attack: This value will indicate how long it takes before the note goes from silence to full volume. 0 means instantly, and any higher value will make it go longer.
Decay: This value will indicate how long it takes before the note goes from full volume to sustain volume. (put sustain volume to 0 to make it a reverse attack.
Sustain: This value will indicate how much volume the note will have during the "on key hold" event, which takes place after the decay.
Release: This value will indicate how long it takes before the note goes from Sustain volume to silence.

This gives you a standard envelope that looks like this:

/2\
/   3------4
1            \5

1-2 = attack
2-3 = decay
3-4 = sustain, which will take place until a note-off (==) occurs
4-5 = release

So if you only want short piano like sounds, you could use the following settings:

attack: 0, decay: 3, sustain: 0, release: 0.

Hope this helps.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

The note cut effect (SCx) *should* work but I'm not sure if it does. If it doesn't I'd say it's a bug.

pera

MisterX: Yes I can, but the problem with this is that the pather would be too long. (thank u to talk in spanish =)

LPChip: I know adsr envelope :), but the VB-1 (a freeware bass like synth vst from stainberg) don't have this :P

speed-goddamn-focus: Yes, I tried to use SCx, but only work with samples (with all my vsts in Windows 98, using openmpt R2 .42, this is a bug?? :S)

bye :)

LPChip

Note cut never worked. Note delay does work!

You should be able to put a note on one channel, and put a note-off on another with note delay:

C-4 04 v64 .00|=== 04 ... SD2

This will work if you use VSTi's on the instrument. If you do them on the channel, make sure you have both channels set to the VSTi. (default procedure is on the instrument, so try if it works first ;))

pera

yeaaaah   works!! i love this tracker :D

exelent trick lpchip =), thanks to all for helpme!

bye

LPChip

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "pera"MisterX: Yes I can, but the problem with this is that the pather would be too long. (thank u to talk in spanish =)
You could always make more patterns?