Using vst for instrument AND channel

Started by Poser, May 25, 2006, 21:16:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Poser

For an instrument there is a vsti-plugin running, means in this case the sample/instrument will be played always with the "classic flanger" effect...

But if i use another vst-effect on the channel where the instrument is used, the vst-effect will be ignored.

So is it not possible to do this?

georg

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you aware that you can link the output of a channel to a plugin and then route that plugin into another one, thus making a chain of plugins the output goes through?
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

CrazyAznGamer

I'm fairly certain that's what he means.
Err, that is curious... can one apply VST effects to VSTi's?
EDIT: erg, I gotta read more carefully. >_<

Squirrel Havoc

The answer is pretty much no you can't VST a VSTi, I've been trying to figure out that one forever
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Snu

ok, this topic has become massively confusing, so to attempt to clear it up:

you cannot use a vsti in istrument mode (as poser has illustrated), then apply a vst to a channel that vsti is being used in.  i dont believe this would be possible knowing the way vsti work (they can send multiple notes in one sound stream, you would not be able to apply an effect to one note).

however, you can route ALL of a vsti's output to a vst, just use the output to chain them as you would for a vst->vst.

LPChip

As snu said.

Note, You can use the master chain in combination with either channel support or instrument support.

Eg: if you apply the vsti to the channel, and setup the chain there, then make an instrument with just the midi channel set (like how mpt used to be with vsti's) if necessary create a 2nd instance of your vsti and load it in another channel without the additional vst chain, OR you have the instruments setup to have the vsti with vst chain (with possibility of 2nd instrument with copy of the vsti (so 2 vsti's) with another vst chain).

Somewhere in your plugin list, select a plugin, and check master. Every sound will have this plugin, and anything you route it to afterwards. (note you don't need to, and I also advice not to, check the master of each output. Just link their outputs.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

georg

Now i don't understand fucknuts again. Snu explained it, Chip what the hell are you talking about? :shock:
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

LPChip

Quote from: "georg"Now i don't understand fucknuts again. Snu explained it, Chip what the hell are you talking about? :shock:

LOL, I'm so good :nuts:

If you use VSTI's in the instrument tab, you cannot also apply vst's set in the channel. To compromise this, you can make 2 instruments and use 2 different chains to get the desired effect.

Eg. you have

chain1: VSTI -> reverb vst
chain2: VSTI -> no additional vst

Then you make 2 instruments.

Inst 1: vst = chain1
Inst 2: vst = chain2

It will work as if you had 2 channels where one has the reverb vst and the other hasn't.

You can also do the same on channel level instead of instrument level.

You make the same chains as above, but instead of applying them to the instruments, you can also apply them on the channels. If done so, you only need to make an instrument with a midi channel assigned.

If doing so, you will be able to play normal samples in the same channel, and they will have the reverb VST applied to them aswell. You are only limited to one vsti in combination with additional vst's.

But my statement was, that when put this aside, you can still apply the master VST Chain, which will work regardless of the previously mentioned setting.

So either if you have setup the VSTi on the Instrument or VSTi on the Channel, you can always apply a master VST Chain.

Downside is: The master VST Chain will be applied to anything, including the samples/vsti's that do not output to a vst.

Just choose an empty plugin slot, load the vst, and check its master checkbox. My sidenote regarding this was to not have several vst's with a master checkbox, but instead route them as a chain.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rewbs

Phew I'm glad I'm no longer the only person willing to explain this this old topic. Poser, what you ask is simply not possible for the reason Snu describes (it's impossible to split notes of a single output of a VSTi and route them through separate effect chains). You can get close enough by using multiple instances of the VSTi and custom chains though.

Poser

Hm, it's not a VSTi, only a VST-effect... but works also not .-(

Okay so i have to wait for the modular plugin routing :)

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Poser"Hm, it's not a VSTi, only a VST-effect... but works also not .-(

Okay so i have to wait for the modular plugin routing :)

That won't help, it's an impossible feature. The "modular plugin routing" is as I understand it most of all a visual upgrade.

LPChip

You cannot apply a vst(i) to the instrument and let it automatically route to the same channel. Its an either or situation.

Either you use vst's on instruments or vst's on channels. Modular or not.