Eurovision

Started by DavidN, May 20, 2006, 22:09:16

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidN

Lordi won. Hilarity ensues. The line between genius and madness is a thin one, especially as far as power metal goes. :)

Squirrel Havoc

:?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

speed-goddamn-focus

georg

go, ya bunch of fruity wankers. we love you. we really do.
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

LPChip

Since we have people here from all the world, this topic is about an event present in Europe called: Eurovision Song Festifal, where each country has one song and competes with eachother.

This year Finland won.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "LPChip"Since we have people here from all the world, this topic is about an event present in Europe called: Eurovision Song Festifal, where each country has one song and competes with eachother.

This year Finland won.

Contest, not Festifal.

rewbs

Quote from: "LPChip"Since we have people here from all the world, this topic is about an event present in Europe called: Eurovision Song Festifal, where each country has one song and competes with eachother.

This year Finland won.

Though this description is accurate, it does not communicate the sheer strangeness of the contest - you probably have to see it to understand. Basically, all the music is incredibly shit, the entire event is a paroxysm of cheesyness, and it's extremely hard to understand who takes it seriously, and how they could possibly do so. Some people say it's all a bizarre theatre of futile political arse-licking that uses music as a very thin disguise. A point of interest, and an illustration of the general oddity surrounding the event, is that whilst the competition puts much emphasis on being European, Israel has been participating for many years.

LPChip

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"

This year Finland won.

Contest, not Festifal.

Its a contest, but it is named Eurovision Song Festifal!

EDIT: okay, seems thats the name used in The Netherlands... Everywhere else, they use Eurovision Song Contest :? weird...

See here: http://www.nos.nl/songfestival/voorpagina/index.html
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "LPChip"Its a contest, but it is named Eurovision Song Festifal!

EDIT: okay, seems thats the name used in The Netherlands... Everywhere else, they use Eurovision Song Contest :? weird...

Actually it's referred to as festival here too ;)

LPChip

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "LPChip"Its a contest, but it is named Eurovision Song Festifal!

Actually it's referred to as festival here too ;)

LOL, and you knew it... You knew it all along!!! :nuts: biatch :lol:

DavidN

The whole thing is side-splittingly hilarious. Non-Europeans are missing out.

Sam_Zen

2 rewbs
I had this geographical questions too : How Israel in a European contest ? Why not Lebanon then ?
For the rest : Aaaarrggghhh..

Louigi Verona

Russia got 2nd place!!!

yrk

I like it for its democratic nature... Lordi got the most votes so by definition, they deserved to win. No sense arguing about, eh?

Also, watching it gives you the comfort of knowing that all the other european countries have just as much crappy, cheesy pop music as your own country...

That said, I do think that on average, the quality of the songs had increased ever so slightly this year compared to the last few years...
while (1) { fork(); }

nickythenose

I thought that the track by Lordi was absolutely terriffic, not only a landmark sea change for the festival (namely some really good music for a change) but still in keeping with the contest's tradition of camp, with a blinding beat and some traditional rock inspired sounds. I downloadd the MP3 and will be using the inspiration that the track has given me to develop my own 12 bar blues harmony based stuff and hopefully include some nice electric guitar samples.

Does anyone know a download link for Electric Guitar samples to download?

Nicky Tn :<)