Mimic Music Compo

Started by georg, April 15, 2006, 22:47:54

Previous topic - Next topic

georg

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "PPH"By the way, it would be good if everyone said who they are mimicking, right?
At least it will be so much easier to judge. ;)

It is required. Some links would also be nice. Like:

http://atlantis.plastiqueweb.com/

BTW - /me is doing REM
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

PPH

Good. I'm making a track that mimics Hans Zimmer's style :D You guys know him, right?
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "PPH"Good. I'm making a track that mimics Hans Zimmer's style :D You guys know him, right?

I know that name and remember seeing a TV show on him, but i cant name any of his songs
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

rncekel

I know that name and remember seeing a TV show on him, but i cant name any of his songs
I can't believe that. Haven't you seen any of the recent Disney's films? The lion king, for example?

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "rncekel"
I can't believe that. Haven't you seen any of the recent Disney's films? The lion king, for example?

Hey, im from the land O' pop music, when I think lion king, I think elton john  :lol:
-

xaimus

I was thinking about doing something in the vein of Dvor?k's Serenade for Strings--it's one of my favorite pieces of music ever.

that means i'll need talent and inspiration, both of which i need :( :(

rncekel

To Squirrel:
Yes, but there are only two songs of Elton John in the film. The rest of the music is from Zimmer.

KrazyKatz

Bloody hell. Call yourselves Musicians.
Hanz Zimmer only composed/co-composed for The Rock; Gladiator ; Pirates of the Carribean; Crimson Tide; Batman Begins; The Peacemaker; Broken Arrow ; Sense of Snow ; the Last Samurai ; The Lion King ; Black Hawk down and those are off the top of my head...

I was considering mimicking Hanz Zimmer but to be honest he so Generic with his own style that its rather easy to pull off. Ive been considering more in the lines of John Williams... But that will be hell on wheels.

Have to see where the inspiration goes.
Didnt plan on entering cause Im too busy, but this is too big to miss. Good Luck Boys.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Bloody hell. Call yourselves Musicians.
Hanz Zimmer only composed/co-composed for The Rock

Never saw it

QuoteGladiator

Never saw it

QuotePirates of the Carribean

Never saw it

QuoteCrimson Tide

Never saw it

QuoteBatman Begins

Never saw it

QuoteThe Peacemaker

Never heard of it

QuoteSense of Snow

Never heard of it

Quotethe Last Samurai

Never saw it

QuoteBlack Hawk down

and never saw it

:lol:

I dont watch many mainstream movies
-

georg

Damn! Squirrel beat me to it, but i was just gonna brag how i never bothered to watch those films. I'm sure thy're good cos they all made money and cos a lot of talent was involved but they are totally uninteresting to me.

I like teh gay films better. Just off the top of my head "Cosi e la vita". Hope i spelled it right.

KrazyKatz

Hows about Pearl Harbourl; The Prince of Egypt and Hannibal?

Thing is just as a musician one should be familiar with styles of music and he should thus know the regarded musicians associated with it. Any musician should know Miles Davis, and associate him with Jazz. Or Mozart with classical. Well Filmscores should also be included. The only Exception I can make is probably Modern Pop. Those Guys are here today and Gone tomorrow, but the long lasting ones should be a musicians knowledge ( such as Michael Jackoson etc... ).

But I hear what youre saying and I cant blame you for not seeing movies. It is mostly a waste of time, but you get some fantastic scores out there and some of these flicks are worth watching as a means of escapism and relaxation.

I dont remember the last Time I watched MTV so when people ask me if Ive heard Christine Aguileras new song and I respond with "whose that?" I generally get strange looks. but once again Aguilera aint gonna last nowhere near as long as Elvis, or Jackson or Davis or Mozart.

My thoughts

And drink tea.
Sonic Brilliance Studios

PPH

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Bloody hell. Call yourselves Musicians.
Hanz Zimmer only composed/co-composed for The Rock; Gladiator ; Pirates of the Carribean; Crimson Tide; Batman Begins; The Peacemaker; Broken Arrow ; Sense of Snow ; the Last Samurai ; The Lion King ; Black Hawk down and those are off the top of my head...

I was considering mimicking Hanz Zimmer but to be honest he so Generic with his own style that its rather easy to pull off. Ive been considering more in the lines of John Williams... But that will be hell on wheels.

Have to see where the inspiration goes.
Didnt plan on entering cause Im too busy, but this is too big to miss. Good Luck Boys.

Yep, that's right (except for Pirates of the Caribbean, whose soundtrack was made by Klaus Badelt, or another one of these Hans Zimmer proteg?s). He has some good soundtracks, but he is quite generic, having quite a distinct "big orchestral mixed with modern drim beats" style (his best soundtracks are the ones in which he leaves this style, though, like "Driving Miss Daisy" and "Matchstick Men"). I'm mimicking the "big orchestral" style, of course.

I also thought about John Williams. But he is so varied,  it makes it harder. Also, his music is more complex. (hmmm, maybe I should submit two entries? I don't think I'll have time, though)
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

KrazyKatz

Quote(except for Pirates of the Caribbean, whose soundtrack was made by Klaus Badelt

I know. But he was involved in the composing process, thats why I wrote Co-composer. Seems Media Ventures is taking over the World!

I wouldnt be surprised if the upcoming "Superman" is using Media Ventures for the project. I know its not John Williams composing, and damned if I know why since he set the scene. Anyhow were drifting from the Topic.

Cheerio
Sonic Brilliance Studios

georg

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"
Thing is just as a musician one should be familiar with styles of music and he should thus know the regarded musicians associated with it. Any musician should know Miles Davis, and associate him with Jazz. Or Mozart with classical.

You are right, but remember that you can allways say *uck it and do something freakishy different. Anything goes and as long as there is a lot of effort in your work and a little bit of talent it will be worth it and good. Flavours are different cos people are different but good ice-cream is good ice-cream.

Sort of...  :)

PS - I like movies, i just dislike a lot of them. Not cos i'm a genius or cos my time is worth a lot, but because good films make me feel all kinds of things, and bad ones feel like tortue (i dare anyone to watch Dogs of War).

PPH

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"
Quote(except for Pirates of the Caribbean, whose soundtrack was made by Klaus Badelt

I know. But he was involved in the composing process, thats why I wrote Co-composer. Seems Media Ventures is taking over the World!

I wouldnt be surprised if the upcoming "Superman" is using Media Ventures for the project. I know its not John Williams composing, and damned if I know why since he set the scene. Anyhow were drifting from the Topic.

Cheerio

Oops! Sorry, I didn't see you had written "Co-composer", which is arguable too, but since Badelt works with him, let's leave it at that. Anyway, you're right: Media Ventures seems to be taking over the world. Personally, I think Hans Zimmer has made some great stuff (two others came to mind: The Thin Red Line and As Good As It Gets) but I'm getting a little tired of the Media Ventures stuff.

Take "Kingdom of Heaven": Harry Gregson Williams composed a little music, and then filled the film with music from other films (like 13th Warrior, which had a great soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith). I find that disturbing. Also, I didn't like to listen to the same drum loop used in three different films: "The Bourne Identity" (John Powell, I like him though; he must be the best among Zimmer's proteg?s from MV, I think), "Man on Fire" (I don't remember, I think it was H Gregson Williams) and "The Constant Gardener" (Alberto Iglesias, not from MV, but he used the same loop). And the loop wasn't used mixed with many other things (except for the "Bourne Identity").
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============