First steps in Tracking?

Started by Morgenblume, April 28, 2006, 21:25:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgenblume

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"Are you sure you're using "Save as Wave" from the File menu and not just "Save" or "Save As"? Then all you need to do is click "OK" and write the file name.wav

About MPT vs MPP: MPP hasn't been touched since 2000 I think, and it doesn't support any of the new features (individual sample ramping, plugins and probably more) and the settings you use in MPT (reverb, bass boost, equalizer, resampling mode) are ignored. It's great for old mods tho.

Hi sgf

I am experimenting with just one channel to try to make it work

Into the one channel I have put a long vocal sample of about 2minutes.

I have typed the number 1 into the box above the pattern rows

I then go to the file menu and choose save as a wav

It offers me some options to alter stuff which I leave at default settings because I don,t know what they mean

It then brings up a browser

I name the file

it has the wav extension

It saves to the designated area and looks like a wav, but it always has only 44kb and contains no sound and will not play on media player or on its own player

This also happens with data from multiple tracks.

There is something I am not doing I think.

The module will load onto the player, but it will not play either so I can't go down that route.

This does not seem to have been covered by the wiki yet, (please tell me to go away and read it if I have missed it.)

Morgenblume

Morgenblume

I just tried the above but checked "channel mode" in the menu that pops up before the save browser.

Twice it caused the programme to close itself down.

I checked, and the icon definately says mpt and not mpp.

Morgenblume

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Morgenblume"I have typed the number 1 into the box above the pattern rows
That should be a 0 if you only have one pattern. Can you actually play the song in MPT, i.e. if you press the "play song" in the top toolbar?

Morgenblume

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "Morgenblume"I have typed the number 1 into the box above the pattern rows
That should be a 0 if you only have one pattern. Can you actually play the song in MPT, i.e. if you press the "play song" in the top toolbar?

Yes.
I have to make sure the row with the first sample is selected as  the start row, and click the play icon. That works fine.

0=1 I'll try that,  and so  2 is 1?

Morgenblume

Quote from: "Morgenblume"
Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"

Yes.
I have to make sure the row with the first sample is selected as  the start row, and click the play icon. That works fine.

0=1 I'll try that,  and so  2 is 1?

That damn maths O level, I should have chased it years ago!

Yes if I put the ) in for 1 it works. I am listening to it playing back in media player.

Just to check with you, It is 1 for 2, 2 for 3 etc?

Happy   :lol:

Morgenblume

Morgenblume

Seeing what Lchip meant about the size and age of the computer.

Because I had put all the effects on the file grew from a 23mb wav to a 73 mb wav. that will be unmanageable as you pointed out on 2 more vocal tracks 3 guitar tracks, recorder and percussion unless I economise.

Forewarned

Morgenblume

LPChip

Also a note.

If you have one pattern, with a 2 minute wav sample, an export to wav will render render only that pattern, which will work untill the end of that pattern is reached. If you have default speed settings, you will end up with a song of approx. 15 seconds. You can add more empty patterns or temper with the speed.

Also note that you don't have to tell what pattens you want to export. Whole song will work ;)

And last note, but a bit offtopic: I noticed you missed the P in my nick :) No hard feelings though.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Morgenblume

Hello LPChip

Some people I know would ignore me for months for doing that in print.
I was a little distracted by my work. I apologise.

Morgenblume

speed-goddamn-focus

I'm sorry, but I have to ask. Are you sure a tracker is what you want? If you just want to mix a bunch of large wavs together then there are many much better options.

Morgenblume

Its OK, I don't mind you asking.

No I'm not sure, but its what I've got, it looks like it may do the job, its free and, apart from my inumeracy problem with the 0 and the 1, its so far fairly friendly to use.

I've learned loads over the past few days that will come in handy whatever I end up with. I like the idea of being able to create complicated beats etc. I won't be doing it for a while though.

Morgenblume

rewbs

Quote from: "Morgenblume"Yes.

I think you might be pressing the "play pattern" button (downwards arrow), as opposed to the "play song" button (right facing arrow just below the help menu). The concept is that a song is made out of a sequence of patterns. As you've discovered pattern indices are 0-based, so the first is called "0", the second is "1" etc. The number of the pattern you are currently working on is displayed next to a # at the top left of the pattern. When you have a few patterns you can decide what order to play them in by sequencing their indices in the pattern sequencer, aka orderlist, which is this thing:

You should download some .it files and pull them apart - that's the best way to learn imho.

(>o_o)>

Could it be possible you are having trouble with your sound card? Also, what version of OpenMPT are you using?
Welcome to the internet. The internet is a game. The object is to piss off as many people as possible. Only those who kiss ass and become moderators win. Enjoy your stay.

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "LPChip"the 2 different concepts of tracking (one is wrong and one is right)
A nice emphasis on that.

Even lots of vocal parts in a song can be brought back to less than the whole songlength.
A refrain that will be repeated for example.