Bug save as mp3

Started by Dj-Flo, April 24, 2006, 03:57:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Dj-Flo

I have a bug , i cant save as mp3 anymore  :?  :(  and a converter im to lazy  :D

LPChip

Quote from: "Dj-Flo"I have a bug , i cant save as mp3 anymore  :?  :(  and a converter im to lazy  :D

My suggestion would be to stop being lazy :lol:

Seriously, I can tell you how to get mp3 export to work, but it won't be that good. I had done some mp3 exports in a row, then listened to the result, and was shocked enough by its result to exported everything to wav, and converted them manually.

The export of mp3 is just not that good.

To do it, you'll need to download an external plugin (like lame) put it in the plugin folder of mpt, and start mpt.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

I don't give a sh*t about any trendy compression-format. As long as MPT can save as the original wav-file, it's fine by me. What I like to do with it afterwards is another case with other tools to convert something.
The complexity of having the right codecs on board speaks for itself.
I reject the Mp3 format anyway, because of possible future payments for the use of it.
If OMPT should have a output-decoder for compressed files anyway, I would prefer the OGG and FLAC formats, because they are also Open Source.

Christofori

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"If OMPT should have a output-decoder for compressed files anyway, I would prefer the OGG and FLAC formats, because they are also Open Source.

Good point / agreed. :)
/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*

Squirrel Havoc

I have to disagree to a certain point. I agree with your view on MP3, OGG, and FLAC, I use all 3, and prefer FLAC if the file I am playing with (non musical stuff) has never been touched by lossy compression. But I disagree because more people have software/hardware that supports MP3 than any other format (hell, maybe even CDDA hardware included). So unless you are making music for the sole purpose of listening to it yourself in whatever format you think is God's gift to the internet, then you want other people to hear it, and with that you want to make it easy/painless for them to be able to listen to it. Now I'm the kind of person where if I download an AVI in a codec I don't have, but hear it's a better format, then I will scamper to google to find it, but that's because I work with animation and stuff. Regular people don't know as much about OGG/FLAC/APE and so on, and they may not even care. Maybe you don't want to appeal to those people anyway, maybe you do, I don't know. But speaking from what I want, I want more people to hear my music no matter what kind of person they are. I want to bring a shred of joy to people's lives, no matter who they are. I don't believe in software patents, or even agree with many liscences (I think everything should be free, including doing whatever you want with it), but I won't get into them as I don't know a whole lot about them.

That's my 20Yen. Before I go, a good counter-point against my argument would be that forcing people to use other formats would promote those formats, maybe even to the point of surpasing MP3 in popularity, if that's even possible.

So unless Chip has a good reason not to, feel free to discuss any opinions you might have about my thoughts...
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Sam_Zen

2 Squirrel Havoc
I understand your point about the compatibility in the communication with the public. And, due to M$ policy, users are loosing the knowledge about extensions and formats, which makes it even worse.
At the same time I think forcing people to other formats is not right, but also not necessary. I followed the developments of the different formats, it's a natural process, some survive, others don't. It took some time before more and more media-players acknowledged the importance of tracker-files, and integrated them in the source-code.
The same has happened now with the ogg-format. So as soon as this stage is reached, extra promotion for the alternative is useful. Still a bit less valid for the flac-one, but enough to start mentioning it, if relevant.
And composers have a powerful position to help making such a change.

EDIT : A practical thing is involved here too. If, in the future, there must be payed for using the mp3-format, the public will have no trouble most of the time. But the developers will. This could mean that, because OMPT can convert the output into a mp3-file, Rewbs has to pay to the Fraunhofer Institute to use the subroutine in the source code of OMPT.

LPChip

Moving this to General Chatter.

Doesn't belong in bug report section.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"This could mean that, because OMPT can convert the output into a mp3-file, Rewbs has to pay to the Fraunhofer Institute to use the subroutine in the source code of OMPT.
No, MPT used LAME or BladeEnc as external encoders.

Sam_Zen

2 speed-goddamn-focus
Thanks. Nice to know.

Harbinger

I'm compelled to convert my final versions to .mp3 because of iPods, the multitude of conversion/playback software, and the just all-around universality of the format. Since i'm on a Mac (using a PC emulator), the ability to EASILY transfer between platforms is paramount.

Plus, i need a compression that lowers the file size while keeping the exact sound (or at least perceivable sound) that i had composed.  As much as i love 16-bit 44k .aiff's, i don't have that amount of memory. For music anyway, i would stick to .mp3.

EXCEPT when being compressed by MPT! I don't know why .mp3 conversion is elusive for MPT, but i've found, like LPChip, that i hafta convert to .wav, send it back to my Mac, and use my fantabulous software there to convert to a decent .mp3. I then have my composition in one library-ready format, and i can take it with me practically to any other computer.

Granted i don't know anything about the other formats that Sam_Zen mentioned (don't wanna know), but when i find something nice and easy and acceptable, i just go with that...