Extremely Quiet Instruments when Exported as Midi

Started by Ray2005, May 11, 2023, 18:18:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray2005

New member to the forum! I came here in search of an answer to my problem. I started using OpenMPT yesterday to expert an IT file to midi format. However, when exporting as midi, all the instruments except for bass and percussion are very quiet, have off keys and are low pitched when viewing in another program. I've tried adjusting the volume through the random note values, and it doesn't help. If anybody can help, that'd be great!

Saga Musix

Welcome. It's difficult to know exactly what's going on without seeing the files in question but here are some general pointers:

- Especially with old modules, most samples might not share a common pitch for their middle-C, i.e. one instrument be sampled in a way so that C-5 actually plays a note that sounds like a C, and the next sample might be sampled in a way so that C-5 actually sounds like a D# or whatever. If that is the case, you have to manually compensate for this by transposing the instruments individually (either in OpenMPT or in the exported MIDI file).
- Volume issues might be caused by different volume curves of different MIDI players or plugins used to play the file. This may be completely normal but once again is not something I can judge without seeing the files in question.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Ray2005

Oh right!

Saga Musix

I did a quick export with some fitting instrument and it sounds alright here? A few instruments (e.g. Captain's Concertina) are a bit quiet in the exported MIDI file because the original samples are comparatively loud in the module, which is compensated in the pattern data by playing them at a lower volume. Of course the exported MIDI notes are then quieter too, even though whatever MIDI soundfont you are using will probably use samples that are not as loud as the ones in the module. No instruments sound out of tune here, either - but of course the bongo samples will not map cleanly to any melodic General MIDI instrument, because normally bongos are part of the GM drum kits instead.

These are two things that you will have to manually account for when doing your export (either in the original pattern data or by manipulating the generated MIDI file), but there's nothing wrong with the export per se.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Ray2005