Underscore letters Instrument Tab

Started by FWL, April 01, 2023, 21:59:29

Previous topic - Next topic

FWL

Hello,

I've noticed that some letters on the instrument tab are underscored, similar to the main menu. Like for example Sample Map. What does this indicate? I thought that maybe they were selectable with Alt letter key combinations but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Saga Musix

Yes, you will find those across the entire OpenMPT UI, not just the menu bar or instrument tab. They are called mnemonics. Mnemonics only work when no conflicting keyboard shortcut is assigned, and the keyboard focus needs to be in the same area. So for example if the keyboard focus is on the envelope graph (which it is by default), the mnemonics in the upper half of the instrument tab won't work. You first need to change the keyboard focus to the upper half, either by clicking into one of the controls or by using the "Toggle Between Upper / Lower View" keyboard shortcut.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FWL

Hi Saga,

Thanks! I forgot that there was a shortcut for toggle between upper/lower view. That does the trick. I just have one question, the mnemonic shortcuts only work if there is an instrument. And as far as I know there is not a shortcut for a new empty instrument? This maybe be resolved by always asking the question 'Do you want to create a new instrument using this sample?'? But I don't know if this is a disadvantage for other people's workflow. And I don't want to come across as a keyboard fundamentelist ;D . It is not that big of an issue. I could also make an empty instrument as template and load it with Enter I am realising now.

Saga Musix

QuoteI just have one question, the mnemonic shortcuts only work if there is an instrument
Correct, mnemonics do not work for disabled controls, and if there is no instrument yet, the entire instrument editor is disabled. But you are right, there is no New Instrument shortcut while there is a New Sample shortcut, which is an odd inconsistency. I will add one for OpenMPT 1.31.

Edit: I just double-checked, and the New Sample / Load Sample / Save Sample shortcus should automatically work in the instrument tab as well (given that there are no conflicting shortcuts). So if you have a New Sample shortcut defined, it should also work in the Instrument tab.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FWL

I have and this works indeed! Great, thanks again!