modern games that still use tracking music.

Started by allenwrench, March 05, 2023, 00:34:54

Previous topic - Next topic

allenwrench

The last game I think that used tracker music was hedon which featured music from alexander Brandon. I don't think any musicians use the technology anymore, which is sad because it reminds me of piano player rolls

Saga Musix

Recent games featuring tracked music include Ion Fury (actual module files) and Baba Is You (soundtrack written in OpenMPT but game ships with Ogg Vorbis renders). There's probably a lot more games out there especially on indie platforms like itch.io that still use tracked music, but your average AAA game will indeed not feature tracker files (because there is no need to). That doesn't mean that the music itself isn't made with a tracker though, it's just more convenient for many developers to work with streaming music instead. I know my tracked music has been used in several games but the authors didn't even ask for the tracker files, they just used the Ogg Vorbis versions instead. So even when a game has streamed music, it doesn't necessarily mean that the musician didn't use a tracker (like with Baba Is You).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

to emphasise what saga said... I have recently put together 2 tunes for a game called mineclone which is a game on the minetest engine. Mineclone aims to be a (free and open source) replacement for minecraft. The two tunes were ogg versions of 1 orchestral (heavy on the piano) tune, made in ompt, using an orchestral vst, and the other one is pure piano using a different piano vst. Made in modplug tracker, but you might not be able to tell from the tunes themselves.
In other words yeah, you might be listening to tracked tunes in a game and not even know it. Tracking is still playing a vital role in the gaming music world, and just because the game has oggs or mp3s, it doesnt mean it wasnt tracked.

[edit] the tunes will be in the next update of mineclone - in theory.

allenwrench

Quote from: Exhale on March 05, 2023, 02:13:01to emphasise what saga said... I have recently put together 2 tunes for a game called mineclone which is a game on the minetest engine. Mineclone aims to be a (free and open source) replacement for minecraft. The two tunes were ogg versions of 1 orchestral (heavy on the piano) tune, made in ompt, using an orchestral vst, and the other one is pure piano using a different piano vst. Made in modplug tracker, but you might not be able to tell from the tunes themselves.
In other words yeah, you might be listening to tracked tunes in a game and not even know it. Tracking is still playing a vital role in the gaming music world, and just because the game has oggs or mp3s, it doesnt mean it wasnt tracked.

amazing, I thought you meant to say MineTest and not MineClone but I looked it up and will have to install and play it...!

allenwrench

Quote from: Exhale on March 05, 2023, 02:13:01to emphasise what saga said... I have recently put together 2 tunes for a game called mineclone which is a game on the minetest engine. Mineclone aims to be a (free and open source) replacement for minecraft. The two tunes were ogg versions of 1 orchestral (heavy on the piano) tune, made in ompt, using an orchestral vst, and the other one is pure piano using a different piano vst. Made in modplug tracker, but you might not be able to tell from the tunes themselves.

Actually its funny you say that because to add to what I said, there's unused patterns in the tracker file that arent transferred over to say exporting to OGG and its sad because I found many unused patterns in most files opening them up in OpenMPT

The Mad Doctor

Rockbot 1 & 2.
basically an open source game inspired by a lot of old games.

launched from more modern stuff like pc and android to older stuff like PS2, Wii and Xbox360.

and basically this game uses modules (most of them being .mod) because those files are more compatible with older consoles.