Wavetable in MPT

Started by samplr, December 10, 2022, 10:12:25

Previous topic - Next topic

samplr

I think its good idea for optimization of patterns, modplug is easy tracker in many ways and it would be good if wavetable combined with user friendly interface...

Saga Musix

Please explain in more detail what kind of feature you are envisioning. It's hard to deduce from a single sentence.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

samplr

Quote from: Saga Musix on December 10, 2022, 21:16:19Please explain in more detail what kind of feature you are envisioning. It's hard to deduce from a single sentence.
I mean instrument editors like this (capture from HivelyTracker) - small tracks where u can get sound from samples order. I saw this from synth trackers so i expecting there are many samples for one instrument

Saga Musix

Okay, sounds pretty much the same as the macro patterns feature request then.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

Well that last request is a very old post, but I think it has potential as an idea. Well worth the revive.
Basically a singular pattern (or maybe more) that plays when you hit a note, only using one sample or instrument as a sort of 'instrument +' kinda idea. I like it a lot, and it kinda reminds me of that request I made a while back for a way to play singular chords with one note... I imagined that as something you could put in the effect column, but this would be far more flexible and it would also save on space in general (minor chords wouldnt have to be separately coded in in the patterns, arps would have far less code)- if you are worried about too many extra channels for a chord use for something like this, I think 4 channels should be plenty, heck even 3 channels or 2 would save on overall code in patterns. If you make it work with multiple instruments then layering would be an easier prospect too.
The way I picture that would be (imagining 4 channels) you make your sample and the instrument with all the basic bells and whistles we have already, then you can make an 'instrument +' instrument (name entirely not important right now and more figurative) and you are presented with a pattern where you lay out your arp or chord or layered kicks with volumes and effects and then when you select the instrument in the normal pattern editor you just hit a c-5 to play the pattern you made. So let's say I made a c-5 major 7th chord, it would play that one if I hit c5, but it would play a d#5 major 7th chord if I hit d#5 and all the rest would follow that same idea. Another example, if I arp in g#4minor then hit c5 in the pattern editor, it will play the g#4minor arp, and if I hit the d#5 it will arp in A minor.
Timing wise I think we could possibly keep patterns the exact way they are... So you would over-ride the song signature (possibly automatically on with the default 4/16) in the 'instrument +' editor and that would give us plenty of flexibility while allowing us to stay in relative time with the rest of the tune.
I also imagine accessing the 'instrument +" system the same way we access opl instruments now - with the drop down which is only being used for duplicate instrument right now.