Building from Linux

Started by vananaBanana, October 23, 2022, 14:37:13

Previous topic - Next topic

vananaBanana

Hi, I have been busy setting up a build environment on Linux with a Windows guest VM so that I can build on Windows and test on Wine.

However, some things are not clear to me yet:
- Does OpenMPT support building with mingw64?
- Can I otherwise build OpenMPT via the command line?
- Is there a recommended way of doing all this?

manx

Quote from: vananaBanana on October 23, 2022, 14:37:13
Does OpenMPT support building with mingw64?

No. OpenMPT requires MFC, and MFC is only supported by Visual Studio MSVC (and the clang-cl Visual Studio ships). MinGW-w64 (or MSYS2, ...) does not support building MFC applications.

Can I otherwise build OpenMPT via the command line?

We have scripts that can automate building from the Windows Command Line in build/auto/, but for development it is generally easier to just use the Visual Studio solutions in build/vs*/.

I have been busy setting up a build environment on Linux with a Windows guest VM so that I can build on Windows and test on Wine.
Is there a recommended way of doing all this?

Install Visual Studio inside your Windows VM.

vananaBanana

Quote from: manx on October 23, 2022, 15:34:05
Does OpenMPT support building with mingw64?

No. OpenMPT requires MFC, and MFC is only supported by Visual Studio MSVC (and the clang-cl Visual Studio ships). MinGW-w64 (or MSYS2, ...) does not support building MFC applications.

Can I otherwise build OpenMPT via the command line?

We have scripts that can automate building from the Windows Command Line in build/auto/, but for development it is generally easier to just use the Visual Studio solutions in build/vs*/.

I have been busy setting up a build environment on Linux with a Windows guest VM so that I can build on Windows and test on Wine.
Is there a recommended way of doing all this?

Install Visual Studio inside your Windows VM.

Alright, and how would one go on about adding source files and compiler/linker options to the build process?

manx

Quote from: vananaBanana on October 24, 2022, 12:16:59
Alright, and how would one go on about adding source files and compiler/linker options to the build process?

• run build\build_tools.cmd once to build premake
  • most MSVC compiler settings are set in build\premake\premake-defaults.lua
  • source files are listed in build\premake\mpt-*.lua, build\premake-xcode\mpt-*.lua, build\autotools\Makefile.am, build\android_ndk\Android.mk, and Makefile
  • run build\regenerate_vs_projects.cmd to regenerate the Visual Studio project files