Using multiple USB MIDI Input devices (controllers) simultaneously

Started by Bart_LX, September 10, 2022, 04:13:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart_LX

Greetings,

Is it somehow possible to use 2 or more USB MIDI devices simultaneously as a combined input source of track data?

I recently bought a KORG nanoKONTROL2 controller and I want to use its sliders and knobs at the same time (or shortly after)
I'm sending in notes through my other (main) device, a KORG K61 MIDI keyboard.

From what I can tell by looking at the OpenMPT Setup -> MIDI tab and from pulling out the MIDI Record (F9) single selection listbox
on the main toolbar this seems unlikely but I wanted to ask anyway. Maybe I overlooked something.

Any help on this is appreciated,
Bart

Saga Musix

Currently this is only possible through a bit of a workaround: Create an instance of the MIDI Input/Output plugin for each additional device, and check "Record MIDI Out to pattern Editor" in the Options menu of each plugin. Not optimal but it's all that's possible until a larger refactoring of the code happened.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Bart_LX

Thanks for the workaround!

I tried it with mixed success.

At one point I was able to turn both a knob on my main keyboard and the nano controller device and see input
recorded from both of them (after some MIDI mapping), together with keys played on my K61, unfortunately without hearing sound.
But I call that progress, so thanks  ;)

In tried with 1 MIDI Input / Output plugin in FX 01:

• MIDI Input Device = nanoKONTROL2
  • MIDI Output Device = K61

with Record MIDI OUT to Pattern Editor checked in the options of that plugin

In FX 02: I put the reFX Nexus plugin v-synth

And in the bottom half of the General tab, in Mix Settings of FX1, I set Output to FX2: Nexus

I noticed two bugs:
1) the MIDI Input Device of the MIDI Input / Output plugin keeps resetting to <none> as soon as you start using knobs on both devices
2) the listbox on the Patterns tab where you select the active instrument doesn't reflect updates you made afterwards to the list of plugins you're defining in the General tab. For instance I deleted FX3 from the plugins, but I could still select FX3 from the listbox near the top on the Patterns tab (the Plugin button right next to it was disabled for FX3 though)

Anyway, that's all I have time for today. I greatly appreciate the product though and I find it amazing
that I can just open up Visual Studio, connect to the sources on github, build it (after a few property and option changes, eg: change Windows SDK, install MFC, remove spectre mitigation) debug and step through the whole thing... for FREE  :)

Saga Musix

Quote from: Bart_LX on September 10, 2022, 12:53:31
1) the MIDI Input Device of the MIDI Input / Output plugin keeps resetting to <none> as soon as you start using knobs on both devices

That sounds like one your the MIDI mapping was accidentally set up to automate the MIDI I/O plugin.

Quote from: Bart_LX on September 10, 2022, 12:53:31
2) the listbox on the Patterns tab where you select the active instrument doesn't reflect updates you made afterwards to the list of plugins you're defining in the General tab. For instance I deleted FX3 from the plugins, but I could still select FX3 from the listbox near the top on the Patterns tab (the Plugin button right next to it was disabled for FX3 though)
Deleting a plugin does not delete any instruments associated with it. You don't control plugins in patterns, you control instruments, so if an instrument was created for FX3, you will need to remove that instrument in order to not show up in that list anymore.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.