How do I use soundbanks in a module?

Started by voodin, March 26, 2022, 06:48:36

Previous topic - Next topic

voodin

I'm getting acclimated with the features of OpenMPT. I noticed that sf2 files can be imported as soundbanks, which then populate its own folder in the highest level of the hierarchy. I cannot figure out how to move these instruments anywhere, imported soundbanks always appear in the highest level of the hierarchy, and attempting to move any of the folders or instruments into a mod just makes the cursor show the blocked icon.
How do you use the soundbanks?

StarWolf3000

You drag them to an instrument (or sample) in the Sample/Instrument tab.

Exhale

Quote from: StarWolf3000 on March 26, 2022, 11:45:03
You drag them to an instrument (or sample) in the Sample/Instrument tab.

as a warning, you will want to make a new sample/instrument for this unless it is a brand new tracked file.
A bit more info, you can preview the sound font by using your keyboard like you would normally in the pattern editor, sample or instrument tabs,
And a bit of advice, you will probably want to drag the soundfont into the instrument tab instead of the sample tab, most soundfonts contain multiple samples, and it will generally work out better if you drag it into the instrument tab.
Good luck with your creations :)

Saga Musix

Quote from: Exhale on March 26, 2022, 12:56:18
as a warning, you will want to make a new sample/instrument for this unless it is a brand new tracked file.
To elaborate on this "warning": Dragging an instrument into a module overwrites the currently selected instrument. Instead of creating a new instrument beforehand, you can also just hold Shift while dragging the new instrument into the module, and a new instrument slot will be inserted automatically.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

voodin

Quote from: Saga Musix on March 26, 2022, 16:50:36
To elaborate on this "warning": Dragging an instrument into a module overwrites the currently selected instrument. Instead of creating a new instrument beforehand, you can also just hold Shift while dragging the new instrument into the module, and a new instrument slot will be inserted automatically.

What part of the window exactly am I supposed to drag the instrument to? The only part of the window that seems to accept the instrument is the envelope editor at the bottom, but holding shift does not make a new instrument when I drag it there.

Saga Musix

That's the correct place. What's your OpenMPT version?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.