trying to get some perspective on editing/writing in Openmpt

Started by musicalman, January 12, 2022, 16:29:44

Previous topic - Next topic

musicalman

Thank you, play rows when navigating is working great! I think combining this with move to prev/next entry in column will make editing a lot smoother for me.

Quote from: A11CF0 on January 13, 2022, 11:26:49
BTW, what do you think about adding actions for jumping up/down by the current edit step value? I think this can make blind navigation inside complex patterns at least somewhat easier.
I think there are already actions for that, I feel kind of dense now. Move up/down by spacing is what I'd be looking for?

Speaking of that, I was wondering if a toggle for moving the cursor on note entry would be useful. I guess I've gotten used to how it feels to have the edit step at 0, but I can also see myself using the move by step/spacing commands too.

A11CF0

Quote from: Saga Musix on January 16, 2022, 00:05:22
Okay, as of r16529 (soon available from https://builds.openmpt.org/builds/) there is a new option in the general settings, "Play whole row when navigating". This causes the whole row to be played when navigating up or down in the pattern.
There is also a complementary keyboard shortcut called "Toggle row playback when navigating" which toggles aforementioned option without having to visit the settings dialog. The new status after toggling the shortcut can be read from the status bar after it has been toggled.

Let me know if this is useful for you or if any changes are required.
Thanks! This feature is super cool and makes editing so much more efficient. Perfect!
Quote from: musicalman on January 16, 2022, 16:37:04
I think there are already actions for that, I feel kind of dense now. Move up/down by spacing is what I'd be looking for?

Speaking of that, I was wondering if a toggle for moving the cursor on note entry would be useful. I guess I've gotten used to how it feels to have the edit step at 0, but I can also see myself using the move by step/spacing commands too.
Sorry, I forgot about these actions. They're already here.

A11CF0

Unfortunately, it seems that this new feature doesn't work together with "go to next/previous entry in column" actions. That is quite a big limitation.

Saga Musix

Starting from r16540, it will also be applied to those shortcuts.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

A11CF0

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

AngelDust

Might be unrelated and apologies if so but what if MPT had the option to scroll horizontally? The way we see in other DAW's

It's a feature/option I've always thought would be cool along with the ability to record audio in the samples editor..

Saga Musix

For the context of this topic (blind usage of OpenMPT) it doesn't really make a difference (except that left/right/up/down keys would be swapped)... but completely ignoring the topic, I don't really think it would be all that helpful. Just thinking about it practically, pattern cells are wider than they are tall, just like screens. If you now made patterns go to the right instead of the bottom, you would see a lot less context in time (only 20-30 rows instead of 60+), while at the same time seeing 60+ channels, which is more than what most people use. That's a pretty bad trade, I think, and it's not like the vertically scrolling instead of horizontally scrolling timeline is what makes trackers more complex to use than traditional DAWs.