I converted a midi and imported in DAW but the channel isnt played correctly

Started by ModManiac12, January 13, 2022, 23:00:37

Previous topic - Next topic

ModManiac12

hi there. i exported UNREAL TOURNAMENT - RUN to midi with OpenMPT and extracted the Samples as wav.

but it is strange cause it doesnt sound the same, the kick is right but not the start bass/melody
here is the original music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT5lZEl0KhQ

in my DAW the notes are a very long note (not short ones like the melody sounds)

does anyone know why? e.g. the kick midi has short notes and sounds correct but not this starting bass melody. im new to tracker music but i thought converting to midi works :/

Saga Musix

A lot of tracker techniques cannot be cleanly translated to MIDI. This particular track for example uses volume slides to create a gated sound, something that cannot be easily expressed in the world of MIDI. Never expect that that modules that were not designed with MIDI export in mind will export cleanly - almost every one of them will require some sort of manual rework, often lots of it.
As a workaround, you could patch this instrument up to a synthesizer plugin that has an arpeggiator, and set the arpeggiator to 16th notes. It would sound similar.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ModManiac12

Quote from: Saga Musix on January 14, 2022, 08:33:49
A lot of tracker techniques cannot be cleanly translated to MIDI. This particular track for example uses volume slides to create a gated sound, something that cannot be easily expressed in the world of MIDI. Never expect that that modules that were not designed with MIDI export in mind will export cleanly - almost every one of them will require some sort of manual rework, often lots of it.
As a workaround, you could patch this instrument up to a synthesizer plugin that has an arpeggiator, and set the arpeggiator to 16th notes. It would sound similar.

thx so much for your help i prepare some comparisons, cause in OpenMPT i dont see the origins why it sound there like that and then having the midi channel sounding totally different e.g. some cymbal. it is transposed to B6 in openmpt, but the midi is in C3 suddenly.... it is very strange and i wonder how it gets exported to midi when it isnt the same note? i imported the exact sample to the midi channel with a sampler and then it sounds totally different.
in openmpt i see NO pitch shift or timestretch so it should play the same, i even played around and transposed the sample by ear, nowhere near the same, im getting crazy hahaha, this must be recreatable in a MIDI DAW. i will complete my material tomorrow, i just want to understand why it sounds different and what to do to achieve the same results and to see in the tracker what they did.

Saga Musix

Quote from: ModManiac12 on January 15, 2022, 23:28:19
thx so much for your help i prepare some comparisons, cause in OpenMPT i dont see the origins why it sound there like that and then having the midi channel sounding totally different e.g. some cymbal. it is transposed to B6 in openmpt, but the midi is in C3 suddenly.... it is very strange and i wonder how it gets exported to midi when it isnt the same note?
If you export drums on the percussion channel (MIDI channel 10), then they will be mapped to the corresponding General MIDI drum key (which is mentioned in the dropdown menu where you most likely chose the crash cymbal). If you do not want that kind of mapping, you must export drums as melodic instruments instead. Then the notes will stay exactly as they were in the pattern.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ModManiac12

Quote from: Saga Musix on January 15, 2022, 23:32:43
Quote from: ModManiac12 on January 15, 2022, 23:28:19
thx so much for your help i prepare some comparisons, cause in OpenMPT i dont see the origins why it sound there like that and then having the midi channel sounding totally different e.g. some cymbal. it is transposed to B6 in openmpt, but the midi is in C3 suddenly.... it is very strange and i wonder how it gets exported to midi when it isnt the same note?
If you export drums on the percussion channel (MIDI channel 10), then they will be mapped to the corresponding General MIDI drum key (which is mentioned in the dropdown menu where you most likely chose the crash cymbal). If you do not want that kind of mapping, you must export drums as melodic instruments instead. Then the notes will stay exactly as they were in the pattern.

thx i used so far this setting, is this wrong?
i open a mod file and go to export to midi and then ok

https://i.imgur.com/fRgR6Ys.png

Saga Musix

That's only the settings for the first instrument. Did you change any of the other instruments in that dialog? If you didn't, all instruments should be export with a 1:1 module to MIDI note mapping. But keep in mind that note labels in OpenMPT do not necessarily map exactly to how other software displays those notes (e.g. OpenMPT's C-5 is typically C4 in MIDI-based software).