Newest OpenMPT adds random cue points to samples

Started by QuantumRain, January 03, 2022, 17:08:46

Previous topic - Next topic

QuantumRain

Is there a way to batch-delete the added cue points from all samples or turn off the auto-cueing by default?
I like the new features a lot so far but this is kinda weird.

Saga Musix

The truth is, those cue points have always been there, you just didn't see them (because there was no timeline that would easily visualize them). This is mostly so that the volume-column oxx command can be easily used in a backwards-compatible way: older OpenMPT versions didn't have configurable cue points, so the cue points you see now are the same offsets that the oxx command used before the introduction of cue points. If you don't modify the cue points, the defaults would still work with OpenMPT 1.24 and older. There's no way to turn this off, but maybe it's time to retire this backwards compatibility at some point.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

QuantumRain

Thanks for the explanation!
I'm a little disappointed to hear that there is no way to turn it off (yet).

The cue points seem to be set all randomly in the project I'm currently working on.
Some samples have all 9 cue points at the very beginning, some samples have only a range of cue points (2-5),
and some samples don't have any cue points. And there's a sample that has only cue point 9 in the middle for some reason.

Saga Musix

Cue points may get shifted when editing samples, so if you e.g. insert some silence, or cut some section of the sample, some cue points might be removed, or they will be spaced apart further, etc - all of this was intransparent in the past due to the lack of visualization, but for newly created files it should be much more obvious now (cue points behave just like loop points in that regard). Cue points can also be imported from WAV or FLAC samples. So those are the possible explanations for "random-looking" cue points in existing files. I don't quite get the disappointment though - you don't have use the cue points at all. Just ignore them if you have no use for the feature.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

QuantumRain

Ok, that makes more sense to me now, thanks for the further explanation.

The reason I'm somewhat disappointed is that I'd love to embrace the cue points but I'd have to
manually delete or alter (most of) the randomly set cue points first to maintain a good overview and quick workflow.

Saga Musix

I'll see what can be improved in this regard. If a sample doesn't have any cue points by default, adding new ones is a bit cumbersome right now (done via two nested context menus), so maybe I can add a new right-click option to the timeline to add a cue point. Once that's done, removing the default cue points might be more realistic.

QuantumRain

Quote from: Saga Musix on January 03, 2022, 19:43:45
I'll see what can be improved in this regard. If a sample doesn't have any cue points by default, adding new ones is a bit cumbersome right now (done via two nested context menus), so maybe I can add a new right-click option to the timeline to add a cue point. Once that's done, removing the default cue points might be more realistic.
This sounds very awesome and lets me hope for a great feature that I'd be using all the time in the future:)
(A double click in the timeline (where the cue triangles are now displayed) to quickly add/remove them would be amazing)

Kudos to you and the OpenMPT (&ModPlug) team, I love the software and have been using it for 20 years now.

Saga Musix

As a first step, I added a new option to the timeline context menu to insert a cue point if there are any unused cue points left. I guess the next step would be to not create cue points when adding new samples. There are a couple of technical things to consider though, so it might not happen immediately. I created an issue on our bug tracker to not forget about it: https://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=1540

QuantumRain