Why do I get large letters on some programs?

Started by Metro28, September 10, 2021, 01:03:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Metro28

This happens to me in some old programs, for example MPT beta or very old versions.

How do I fix this?

Saga Musix

That looks like the standard Windows font that is used when the correct font couldn't be found. I cannot tell you why the correct font would be missing on your system. Maybe you deleted it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Metro28

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 10, 2021, 12:48:47
That looks like the standard Windows font that is used when the correct font couldn't be found. I cannot tell you why the correct font would be missing on your system. Maybe you deleted it.
I don't recall deleting it, but I doubt some programs that I installed and it started doing that.

What is the name of the missing font? (I have another computer and it is like a font without ClearType)

Saga Musix

The correct classic UI font would be MS Sans Serif. What you are seeing is a font called System instead (as said, a fallback font). The System font may also be used if there are other problems (such as a lack of resources to load more fonts). Given your other issues with OpenMPT's UI and update mechanism, I really think something is wrong with your Windows installation and you are probably best off with reinstalling it (or preferably a Windows version that is still supported with updates).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Metro28

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 10, 2021, 13:56:30
The correct classic UI font would be MS Sans Serif. What you are seeing is a font called System instead (as said, a fallback font). The System font may also be used if there are other problems (such as a lack of resources to load more fonts). Given your other issues with OpenMPT's UI and update mechanism, I really think something is wrong with your Windows installation and you are probably best off with reinstalling it (or preferably a Windows version that is still supported with updates).
How weird, I have that font.

This also happens in some programs:

Saga Musix

Really, your system is broken. Reinstall it. I cannot tell you how to fix this otherwise.

Metro28

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 10, 2021, 14:05:28
Really, your system is broken. Reinstall it. I cannot tell you how to fix this otherwise.
Thank you. It is the only answer I got on the Internet, I see that this only happens to me. ;)

Metro28

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 10, 2021, 13:56:30
The correct classic UI font would be MS Sans Serif.
I still wonder if it should be called MS Sans Serif Normal or MS Sans Serif.

Saga Musix

MS Sans Serif is the font. Normal is the style. Anyway, don't expect any further explanations or troublshooting on this from my side - your system is broken, there is nothing I can do to help you.