The Demise of TiS - any gossip?

Started by uncloned, April 09, 2021, 23:06:46

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone had any info on the last months of TiS.   I stopped even bothering to stop by occasionally when somewhere over winter some admin decided to nuke -almost- everyone's older tracks. Now its essentially a tree stripped of any foliage - nothing works... all I guess it's purpose is now is to be a place to park the domain.

I am glad to see MPC and OMPT still kicking.

Just to give this post some legitimacy - have you heard of the lumatone isomorphic keyboard? Deliveries have started and many in the microtonal community are excited. I think $5,000 is far too much for a controller, no matter how fancy, yet there are people buying them.

https://www.lumatone.io/

Thanks,

Uncloned

Louigi Verona

I was preparing for something like this, so managed to download my own files, since many of them were only on TiS! I guess, the author got tired of paying for storage costs.

Saga Musix

Well the site itself is still alive so it can't be just the hosting costs... but I can imagine that given its age it's probably all old PHP5 code, and it might have been migrated to a new server with PHP7 as PHP5 is no longer actively maintained, and the site doesn't work properly anymore on PHP7. Database looks pretty empty, too. ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

The code being too old did occur to me. Thanks for the suggestion as it makes a lot of sense.

The damage of removing old tracks happened sometime prior to the current state. It was frustrating seeing old posts and the error message if you tried to access the music.

Uncloned

Louigi Verona

I moved my site to PHP7 and most things just stopped working - and I have a very simple site. Unless the owner actually went into the code to fix things, most of the site would've been blank pages.

For instance, PHP7 does not allow not mentioning the default value in function definition (or something along those lines, I don't remember), and you would normally not do that. Mysql calls are all changed to mysqli, at the very least.

In other words, what I'm saying is that if the owner cared enough to move his content to PHP7, he should've cared enough to make sure the content works.