seeking sync

Started by 6xes, February 19, 2021, 09:50:04

Previous topic - Next topic

6xes

first i want to say what a great program this OpenMPT!
big thumbs up to everyone behind this OpenMPT program and supporting it!!!
i absolutely love all the music thats been generated from years past, so great to be playing them all over again!!

just found the program the other day..
i work with maschine hardware... and im curious does the openMPT have a seeking function?? or perhaps has anyone made a macro for it, to achieve that functionailty?
any ideas for a possible work around?
cheeRs

Saga Musix

Can you be more precise what do you mean by seeking sync? Do you want OpenMPT to send timing information to your hardware, or receive timing information from the hardware?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

6xes

im actually referring to the term smooth seeking... where the playhead syncs to the next chosen track... without the need to manually wait on the timing of the event(to press the button)
the function is useful in a live performance scenario... when improvising over tracks

Saga Musix

I don't think I have heard of the term "smooth seeking" but it sounds like what you want can be achieved by middle-clicking (or ctrl-clicking) on an order list item. Doing that will queue it to be played after the current pattern has finished playing.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

6xes

thank you Saga!!
thats the function i was after!! awesome

Saga Musix

You're welcome. Please have a look at the manual as well as there is more functionality that might be helpful for a live setup.

6xes

im curious,
another question, which ties into smooth seeking as opposed to using the queueing function

if the playhead is running, and the transition i wanted to go from the  32nd note/sequence of pattern 1  and then transitioning smoothly to the 33rd note of pattern 2 albeit the next possible note sequence, is this function possible atm?
i understand there would be some issues, with notes still playing if not turned off etc... and the lag response of the transition, but this is essentially what smooth seeking is.
is this currently possible?

Saga Musix

You could add some pattern break commands while the song is playing to jump to arbitrary lines, but apart from that it's not possible. You would have to split up your patterns so that the jump points are always at the start / end of patterns.

6xes

hey it turns out... that you can smooth seek or transition the playhead... to flip into a completely different pattern and remaining in sync...
for example if the playhead is at #32 row... you can drag&drop a pattern from the left-hand side folder & simply drop it on the CURRENT pattern playing.. this changes to the new pattern and keeps in things in time!!
found that out of fooling around with it!!
be so cool to have that simple functionality without having to drag&drop it each time!!
great for jamming!!

awesome!