Strange off tune pattern

Started by yuki_341, February 18, 2021, 00:54:50

Previous topic - Next topic

yuki_341

Hi, so I've encountered a problem...
so some pattern sounds like they're out of tune... I don't know why.
So, I've started from an XM file and then converted it to .mod
The XM version sounds fine, but the .mod version not.
Here are the two files, hope someone can help me.
:-[
I cannot upload the two files because it says that is too large so here's a link to download them.
(link removed, problem solved: i accidentally transposed down by 3 semitones by pressing CTRL A (semitone down) resolved by transposed back up by 3 semitone by CTRL Q)

By the way, the conversion wasn't only a xm to mod but i compressed 10 channels into 4, it was really difficult but i've managed to do it

Saga Musix

The XM and MOD formats use different tuning systems with different precision, so a direct lossless translation isn't possible. You can change the "Finetune" property of some samples to correct their tuning but it will probably not sound identical. Since MOD is a much less capable format than XM, I suggest to always start writing in the MOD format if that's the target format you need, otherwise you will keep running into these sort of incompatibilities.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

yuki_341

i don't know i you opened the files but only some pattern sounds off tune and the others sound good, that what i can't figure out. In the mean time on the xm file all the pattern sounds good so it's driving me crazy

Saga Musix

It's hard to draw any conclusions here what happened because the MOD file is heavily edited and has many more patterns than the XM file. Where exactly is the difference that you are observing?

Also, please note that due to the high quality of the original samples, most notes in your file exceed the Amiga frequency range, which kind of makes it a bit pointless to restrict yourself to 4 channels. If you want to make an authentic 4-channel MOD, it mustn't exceed the note range C-4 to A-6. Most players that can play notes outside of that range will also be able to handle MODs with more than 4 channels.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

yuki_341

The only thing that i did after combining all in 4 channels was split the pattern in 64 rows (the limit of the mod) and that's it. The samples are correctly resampled, again only some patter sounds off tun, also i know that some notes exceed the amiga frequency limit but i have no clue how correct them painlessy.
Btw my goals wasn't making a perfect mod file, it was more a challenge where if i could compress 12 channels in to 4. (even the samples are low quality on purpose)

Saga Musix

I suppose you mean pattern 18 in the MOD (it would be immensely helpful if you said from the beginning where the differences are instead of saying "some pattern").
However, if I just manually convert the XM to MOD, I cannot observe those wrong notes, so maybe you accidentally transposed that pattern while working on the 4-channel conversion.

yuki_341

i checked some notes and it's seems that they are as the same as the xm files. I don't think that i accidentally transposed because it sound like a pitch down it's applied. The patterns that sounds off are:
pattern 16
pattern 18
pattern 19
pattern 20

Saga Musix

Again - I did the conversion myself and there were no detuned notes. If you cannot provide exact reproduction steps (providing two different files with lots of manual editing steps inbetween are not reproduction steps), the only plausible explanation is that you accidentally transposed those notes while editing. As in all cases the whole patterns are transposed down by one or two semitones, it seems safe to assume that you accidentally pressed Ctrl+A instead of Ctrl+5 to select the whole pattern when splitting it up, as Ctrl+A is the default shortcut for transposing notes down by one semitone.
Note that you can split patterns more easily by right-clicking at the row where the split should occur (i.e. on row 64) and then choose "Split Pattern at Row" from the context menu.

yuki_341

maybe you're right, but how can i transpose up by a semi tone?

Saga Musix

The default shortcut for that would be Ctrl+Q, but you can easily verify this yourself from the keyboard configuration OpenMPT. Alternatively you can right-click your pattern selection and choose the "Transpose" menu.

yuki_341

okay, that worked, i retuned everything back good, thanks man.