Trimmed labels and buttons in OpenMPT using Windows 7

Started by FreezeFlame(Alchemy), August 29, 2020, 02:19:36

Previous topic - Next topic

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Not sure if its just me, but on my Windows 7 machine, some labels on the toolbar (showing the current octave specifically) appear partly visible.
And its not just limited to the toolbar, same is happening to the "Samples" and "Instruments" editors. I hope this covers all cases so far.
If the developers need more information regarding this issue, i will provide it as fast as i can.

I do wonder what the reason behind this is, and possible ways to fix this.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

Saga Musix

It looks like you either enabled the hidden HighResUI setting or somehow overrode OpenMPT's DPI scaling from within Windows to allow for that (not sure if that was already an option in Windows 7). You are probably using a scaling factor that doesn't play nicely with OpenMPT's own UI scaling, so it might result in icons becoming a little bit bigger than they should be, so they don't fit anymore on the screen. Also the dropdown buttons on the sample and instrument editor seem to be very wide, which I have only seen once so far on a convertible laptop by another OpenMPT user, apparently this might happen when Windows thinks that you might want to use touch input, and there doesn't seem to be any way for OpenMPT to opt out of that, the buttons will always be larger than intended in that case.
Disabling the HighResUI setting should hopefully fix most of those issues.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Fixed it by setting the text scalling to 100 % (was set to 125 %) in the "Screen" settings.
Thank you Saga Musix for the suggestion of OpenMPT's DPI scaling being overriden. Didn't expected that of all things.

While it fixed the issue, the words on my PC are now really small (luckily still readable). It is what it is.
QuoteIt looks like you either enabled the hidden HighResUI setting or somehow overrode OpenMPT's DPI scaling from within Windows to allow for that (not sure if that was already an option in Windows 7).
I checked just in case, and HighResUI is not set.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

Saga Musix

That's really strange then, because none of the things you observed should be happening if HighResUI is set to 0. Either way, Windows 7 and 8 have various problems with scaling factors other than 100%, so especially considering that Windows 7 is out of support now I would suggest you give Windows 10 a try if you want to continue using 125% scaling. Other applications should benefit from that as well.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

StarWolf3000

Display Scaling behaviour is different from XP to 8.1 and Windows 10 until Anniversary Update. It changed with the Anniversary Update.