Is their a way add MIDI effects to samples?

Started by biolizardshadow, August 22, 2020, 21:15:54

Previous topic - Next topic

biolizardshadow

Since not all MPTM commands are translated into MIDI effects when the module is exported as a MIDI file is it possible to add MIDI effects to samples and have the tracker act like its playing a MIDI instrument? This kind of functionality would be SUPER HELPFULL TO ME!

LPChip

Please keep in mind, OpenMPT is not a midi editor. It has functions to import and export midi, but they are only for your convenience, not to actually make midi music.

You should not export to midi. Create a module instead, or if midi is your final format, use other software.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I have no idea how you would "add a MIDI effect to a sample" but I believe the answer to whether it would be possible to add that is "no".
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

biolizardshadow

Well my goal here is not to compose MIDI music but to compose music for various game consoles like GBA and NDS. OPENMPT is the software I use to emulate various sounds these systems make and MIDI is only really a tool that is used to export note data and turn that data into a set of instructions for these systems to read since the software's associated with importing the note data only accept MIDI files.

Saga Musix

To better understand what you actually need and whether it's maybe already possible, it would be useful if you could describe what you think you need OpenMPT currently cannot export to MIDI that you require in the final file.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

biolizardshadow

Well I was thinking maybe each channel could have an exclusive MIDI only effect area where you can only input MIDI commands and nothing else. I don't think that would interfere with normal effect commands and it might be a lot easier to program that in then it would be to make every module command compatible with the MIDI standard upon exporting it as a MIDI file.

Basically what I'm looking for is a way to emulate Panning, Channel Volume and some other effects without having to add them later cause they don't export to a MIDI file.

Saga Musix

Are you aware that MIDI macros exist and are exported to MIDI files?
You may also want to look into plugin volume command handling, but in order to be able to use that, instruments already need to be assigned to a plugin (e.g. the MIDI I/O plugin) before export.

biolizardshadow

I am aware that those macros exist however they only work on MIDI instruments not samples so if I were to use MIDI panning effect I would have no way to tell where I'm panning to exactly that's what I'm talking about. That's why I wanted to know if you could add MIDI effects to samples that would work in the tracker.

Saga Musix

You can use the u/v/x/y macro letters to use the current panning and volume settings. That way you can hear the panning in the tracker and also export it as a MIDI command at the same time.

biolizardshadow

I'm a bit confused here are you saying something line X3C would export to a MIDI file cause whenever i use an X command it doesn't export to the MIDI file.

Saga Musix

View -> Zxx Macro configuration brings up the The macro configuration dialog, where you can freely edit all the macros.

biolizardshadow

How do I change it?  It changes to custom when I try changing the letter at the end.

biolizardshadow

Is their a video or something that can explain how to use macros cause I'm really confused here.

Saga Musix

It would be helpful to explain what you are confused with.

biolizardshadow

I'm on the screen with the Zxx macro effects and that's where I'm stuck since I don't know what to do from this point onward. Also will this work on channels playing sampled instruments or just VST/VSTI instrument plugins?