Editing behavior Modplug vs. Psycle Tracker

Started by Lehtis, April 25, 2020, 20:49:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Lehtis

Hi

I really like to switch to Modplug. But I haven't yet manage to get same flow on editing which on Psycle Tracker have. Am I missed something or can I set some behaviors on ModPlug's editing?

When add notes on step X and hold key, I would like it roll on same pattern and loop it. So it's easy add example drum hits.
When hold key down on volume column it would roll also. I like to do drum tracks on trackers, so example make every other hi-hat more silent.

Saga Musix

Quote from: Lehtis on April 25, 2020, 20:49:51When add notes on step X and hold key, I would like it roll on same pattern and loop it. So it's easy add example drum hits.
"Cursor wrap in pattern editor" sounds like what you want to enable.
Quote from: Lehtis on April 25, 2020, 20:49:51When hold key down on volume column it would roll also. I like to do drum tracks on trackers, so example make every other hi-hat more silent.
The hidden setting EditStepAppliesToCommands will do that.

I know users of FT2 and clones are used to those behaviours, but there are much quicker ways to do this in OpenMPT: For example, there is the "paste flood" command (Shift+V) which pastes a copied region repeatedly until it hits the end of the pattern. That way you don't have to hold your key for ten seconds, but instead you just mark the row(s) that you want to repeat, hit Ctrl+C followed Shift+V and you're done. You can also use interpolation shortcuts to quickly repeat a command or note.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Lehtis

Hi

Thank you very much for tips! I think now I found little bit different approach with those compared to Psycle, but feels it could work! :)
Really liked Psycle, but haven't updated for long time, compared to OpenMPT which seems update very often.

Lehtis

Quote from: Saga Musix on April 26, 2020, 10:35:12
Quote from: Lehtis on April 25, 2020, 20:49:51When add notes on step X and hold key, I would like it roll on same pattern and loop it. So it's easy add example drum hits.
"Cursor wrap in pattern editor" sounds like what you want to enable.

Hi, long time no see. :D Well, I test that (again I think), just didn't comment here again earlier. But, Looks like that doesn't work like it maybe should. It'll wrap if I use arrow keys, but not if I put notes. I think it's just more intuitive , that way, which used to do in FT2 or Psycle Tracker, rather than use that CTRL-C -> SHIFT-V, which maybe handy some time. But I found it just so handy to put stepping what need, then notes in loop -> TAB to next track, change stepping -> notes by pressing note down -> etc.

Saga Musix

I wonder, if you are going to overwrite the whole pattern anyway, why not just position the cursor at the start of the pattern with Ctrl+Home before starting to overwrite it? Wrapping around any pattern entry to the beginning of the pattern seems rather dangerous for me as most of the time you wouldn't overwrite the first row that you maybe already finished writing just after reaching the last row of the pattern.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.