How to change length of a note - from eighth to quarter note? [Solved]

Started by Beethoven, February 09, 2020, 18:20:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Beethoven

Hey guys,

I'm reading through a the "getting started with openmpt", searched through the forum and watched some openmpt videos on youtube, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.  :-\

How can I change the duration from a single note of an instrument? My imported instrument sounds like a eighth note and I want to change it to a quarter note from time to time?

Thanks

--- edit ----

changed text and title because of me confusing some terminology:

Saga Musix

I think you are confusing some terminology here which makes answering the question difficult. Velocity measure how hard a key / string / etc. is struck, so a higher velocity means higher note volume. On the other hand, eight notes and quarter notes are specific note durations but don't imply anything about the volume of the note. Are you looking for changing the volume or length of a note?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Beethoven

You're right, I'm confusing some terminology. My english is not very good, that's why.  :o

I'm looking for the length, not the volume, so I want to change note durations.  :)

Saga Musix

Well, the first thing to keep in mind is that trackers like OpenMPT don't have a concept of note lengths like you have it in traditional sheet music. However, contrary to sheet music there are many different ways of ending a note. Not all options are available in all cases.
1. The most straight-forward option are the various note-off events that are available (not all of them are available in all formats, though). You can find an overview in the manual: https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Patterns#Note_Column - so if your note should last shorter, you would for example add a Note Cut in the row where it is supposed to end.
2. You can also slowly (or quickly) fade out a note using volume slide commands, e.g. Dxx in IT format or Axx in XM format. For example, D08 would take about two lines to completely fade out a note at the default speed.
3. If you work with instrument envelopes, you can duplicate your instrument and create different variations of the volume envelope for different note lengths.

Note that only option 1 is available for instrument plugins (VSTis).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Beethoven

@Saga Musix
Thank you very much for your quick reply and detailed help, that helps a lot.  :)