Is it possible to have more than 4 notes to create a chord?

Started by yeto, November 27, 2018, 13:56:04

Previous topic - Next topic

yeto

I want to try this tracker but just wanted to ask if it is possible to enter in more than 4 notes to create a chord?

ASIKWUSpulse

[127-channels] X [one note per channel] = Yes you can definitely create chords with more than 4 notes.

However, the most recognizable chords really doesn't use often more than 4 notes. In most cases you can even let the bass take the root-note of a chord, then let any chord-instrument with only 3 notes take the rest. This is just a tip to save some channels when there is a lot of musical ideas :)
My favourite chord transition: Fmaj9 -> Gadd9 :D (I also like it's ±1 semitone variants)

yeto

Thank you for taking time to reply. This helps a lot.

Saga Musix

- If your question arises from the limitations of the chord editor: The chord editor is limited to four notes, but there is absolutely nothing stopping you from entering any addtional notes next to those generated by chord shortcuts. Or just don't use the chord editor at all.
- If your question arises because you created a ProTracker MOD file: The classic MOD format typically uses 4 channels, and people use sampled chords (i.e. several notes played at the same time in a sample) to work around the format limitations, so that a chord only takes up one channel and the remaining three channels can be used for something else. However, if you are not bound to use the MOD format, you have more channels available in other formats, e.g. up to 127 channels in the MPTM format.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: ASIKWUSpulse on November 27, 2018, 14:20:24
[127-channels] X [one note per channel] = Yes you can definitely create chords with more than 4 notes.

However, the most recognizable chords really doesn't use often more than 4 notes. In most cases you can even let the bass take the root-note of a chord, then let any chord-instrument with only 3 notes take the rest. This is just a tip to save some channels when there is a lot of musical ideas :)

If you really go advanced with chords, then you really do need more than 4 notes. A Dmaj over Amin7 for example requires quite a few more notes and if done correctly sounds really good and can be recognized as both chords or as done by good musicians. But yeah, Most recognizable chords will use 4 notes, but you can also use the same note but an octave higher to get a more full sound which would technically be more than 4 notes. For example a string section occupying 3 octaves can use up to 9 to 12 notes and still sound really good. For example: C3 D#3 F3 A#3 C4 D#4 F4 A#4 C5 D#5 F5 A#5: 12 notes that can be played with strings (volume should be lowered of course) but will sound very rich and full for a Cmin7.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

yeto

Quote from: Saga Musix on November 27, 2018, 18:10:55
- If your question arises from the limitations of the chord editor: The chord editor is limited to four notes, but there is absolutely nothing stopping you from entering any addtional notes next to those generated by chord shortcuts. Or just don't use the chord editor at all.

Yes, that was my concern. Glad to know I can add more notes. I have downloaded the software and I can't wait to get started.

Kind regards,
yeto