Silly questions about 32-bit plugins and custom tunings

Started by arseniiv, May 05, 2018, 19:58:00

Previous topic - Next topic

arseniiv

1. On Win7 x64, I open the latest (1.27.07) 32-bit OpenMPT, create an MPTM project and add a 32-bit VST there (I have tried several so far). For some reason it is marked as bridged (in the plugin list, in its editor window title, there is PluginBridge32.exe process). Should it be so? (I seem to remember in the past things were different. But since I switched to 64-bit hardware a few years ago, I had rarely used OpenMPT, it could be an error of my memory.) If not, what could I possibly do to repair it? Just in case, the instance of mptrack.exe running is already marked as a 32-bit process.

2. I pick a non-12edo tuning on a plugin-using instrument, to no effect. Should it be that? In this case I also seem to remember in the past something could have been different, and again I can't be sure.

Thank you in advance. :)
Feel free to correct my English.
Music & sounds: [Freesound] [SoundCloud] [Direct links to music]

Saga Musix

Quote from: arseniiv on May 05, 2018, 19:58:00
1. On Win7 x64, I open the latest (1.27.07) 32-bit OpenMPT, create an MPTM project and add a 32-bit VST there (I have tried several so far). For some reason it is marked as bridged (in the plugin list, in its editor window title, there is PluginBridge32.exe process). Should it be so? (I seem to remember in the past things were different. But since I switched to 64-bit hardware a few years ago, I had rarely used OpenMPT, it could be an error of my memory.) If not, what could I possibly do to repair it? Just in case, the instance of mptrack.exe running is already marked as a 32-bit process.
There are several possibilities:
1. The advanced setting BridgeAllPlugins is set to 1.
2. You really are running the 64-bit version without realizing it (the About window will tell you)
3. Some plugins are marked to always run in a bridge for various reasons (mostly buggy plugins), in which case the "Use plugin bridge" for that particular plugin is checked in the plugin manager. You can disable this checkbox if you are absolutely sure what you are doing.

Quote2. I pick a non-12edo tuning on a plugin-using instrument, to no effect. Should it be that? In this case I also seem to remember in the past something could have been different, and again I can't be sure.
There is no standardized way to apply microtuning to plugins that would be widely supported.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

arseniiv

Thank you! Yes indeed (and I don't know why) BridgeAllPlugins was set to 1. Now this is resolved. :D

Quote from: Saga Musix on May 06, 2018, 10:33:08
There is no standardized way to apply microtuning to plugins that would be widely supported.
Ah. Do you know any which is able to support it somehow? (E. g. it could have its own tuning settings.)

arseniiv

Quoteand I don't know why
Now I know. It seems it auto-applies when OpenMPT crashes with plugins.

Saga Musix

Quote from: arseniiv on May 06, 2018, 13:10:57
Ah. Do you know any which is able to support it somehow? (E. g. it could have its own tuning settings.)
A search with your favourite search engine should reveal you some choices. I cannot really comment on which plugins would work well with microtuning.

Quote from: arseniiv on May 06, 2018, 13:35:48
Quoteand I don't know why
Now I know. It seems it auto-applies when OpenMPT crashes with plugins.
No, OpenMPT never enables this setting on its own.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

arseniiv

OK. Then I think the setting was not saved because of a crash, so the next time it was present with its previous value 0.

Essentially, I forgot to click "Save now" buttion. I've missed it completely.

UPD: Hope SYN will come and be adopted in the industry soon. As I expected, ways to deal with tunings are proposed there. :)