Pattern Editor.

Started by SilverSound, August 13, 2016, 06:19:27

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverSound

Hello all! I have been a big fan of tracker music starting with Ut99s sound track. I've been spending years just opening songs and watching them play. I recently started learning OpenMPT for real and I've noticed a few things right off the bat that I was having issues finding.

The reason I made this topic: When you input a note the bar advances the specified spaces. Cool I love that. But when I put down an effect or volume data it doesn't! I can't figure out how to!
This has gotten so frustrating to me that I just had to come here make an account and ask if this is a thing. If not MAKE IT A THING PLEASE.

I've used fami tracker a bunch and it has this feature. Milky tracker as well. It's super useful to put in effects and volume numbers in with it automatically moving down for you.

So if anyone can help me out with this that would be great!

TL:DR:::: don't be a jerk.  Effects and volume inputs don't advance the bar automatically like note data does.

LPChip

If you want to repeatedly insert the same effect, For example D00 (which means do the previous D effect, enter the D00 somewhere, press enter on it, then hold space. :)

I always found it very annoying if you work on arpeggios' or otherwise trying to find the correct value, and your cursor keeps moving away. So the method I use is to find it, and once done, enter+space to copy it and place it everywhere.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

The hidden setting "EditStepAppliesToCommands" should do what you want. But note that there are many really more convenient ways to do this in OpenMPT, for example by putting the effect on the first raw and then create a selection starting from there up to the last slot where the effect should be placed and then use the Interpolate command. Or, if it should last until the end of the pattern, use "Paste Flood".
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I understand SilverSound's frustration though. If you come from a way of doing things, and suddenly something doesn't work, it takes lots of practice to adjust. If you can simply make the new software also do it, thats much easier.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

SilverSound

Thanks sega. I think this helps. There are a lot about this software that just seems "need to know" sorta.

Everyone seems to know all the right shotcuts and keybinds. It would be really awesome if you were able to add this in as a checkbox for others who prefer it this way.

I can see why it really isn't set up like that. You have to put the numbers in order. V10 J24. To change them you have to start from left to right. When it comes to volume I'm used to a single line.

It will all come in time, but thank you for the tips. I'll be sure to try them out. Also need to remember things. haha

EDIT:while I'm here and instead of making a new topic... Does anyone know a real easy way to add a swing to your song? I'm doing it all manually right now just thought I'd ask if there was a better way of doing this.

EDIT2: got it. haha. Maybe in months to come you will see some art from me.

LPChip

I guess you found the swing settings in the song properties then?

SilverSound

huh? no. I did it the hard way I guess? With commands. A07 A04.

Saga Musix

QuoteIt would be really awesome if you were able to add this in as a checkbox for others who prefer it this way.
You're only the third person or so explicitely requesting it, which will make it more likely to make it an "official" setting, but so far it has been a mostly untested obscure feature, which is why it's not available in the GUI by default.

QuoteI did it the hard way I guess?
That's the hard and classic way, indeed. The MPTM format has a way of automatically doing this for you, but of course it's not available in the "classic" module formats (MOD/XM/S3M/IT).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

SilverSound

QuoteYou're only the third person or so explicitely requesting it, which will make it more likely to make it an "official" setting, but so far it has been a mostly untested obscure feature, which is why it's not available in the GUI by default.

I completely understand. I'm a fan of the hidden thing. I've liked it all so far. I have been using the "enter+space" thing to do the same thing. It's good to have the option to do it the other way too.

QuoteThe MPTM format has a way of automatically doing this for you, but of course it's not available in the "classic" module formats (MOD/XM/S3M/IT).

After reading LPchips reply I checked the settings and indeed found the option but it seems the default module is allways IT. So it would be a pain to go back on everything. I'm good using the old way. more familiar.

LPChip

You can set the default module to MPTM too. :) Or even better, create a template module, place it in the "TemplateModules" folder inside your OpenMPT folder and choose open template->your song.mtpm or .it or etc.. :)

When you press save, it will ask you to save as for the first time, but it will allow you to store presets in there, such as samples and even patterndata if you want to, along with everything else you can think of.

Saga Musix

MPTM is a superset of IT, so if you want to make use of Tempo Swing in an existing IT file, you can easily convert it to MPTM without any losses.

QuoteOr even better, create a template module, place it in the "TemplateModules" folder inside your OpenMPT folder and choose open template->your song.mtpm or .it or etc.. :)
Why so complicated if you simply can set MPTM as the default type to be used for newly created files right in the settings dialog?

LPChip

Yes, I wrote that too. I just added an addition. :)

Lehtis

The best (everyone surely have different favourite) pattern editing which I´ve noticed, is on "Psycle Tracker", just with few adjust. I recommend to test it, i would love to get those on OpenMPT. Time to time I test MPT and like to change tracker, but pattern editing and changing shortkeys etc to more close Psycle and FT2 style keys takes time..
Like MPT´s midi export :)

I make drumtracks with EZdrummer on tracker as VST.
On Psycle I just love, its easy to change edit step, is it on (or off) on volume/effect column,
pattern goes back to start when goes end,
playing / stopping with CTRL-key
edit on / off SPACE-key
delete note with DEL-key, and it step same "edit step"

It just so handy and quick, just if making example basic drum beat,
step on 2´s hihats, notekey on hold
step on 8´s , then just hold bass drum and then snare
And then volumes on effect column, example hihats have step on 4´s louder and quiet

I dont´know did anyone get, what I´m talking :D

But, It´just so quick which I dont get on OMPT´s default key settings, and even when have try to change them..

Overall that workflow is better as default than MPT, but I try adjust, hopefully I make it. :D

LPChip

That workflow is what I used to use in Impulse Tracker. Modplug tracker was not able to do this, but with the enhanced keyboard manager, I believe it is possible now using the on hold keyboard config. Even so, I just use the ENTER-SPACE method of quickly copying the same note and pasting it in the intervals I want which I set with the step feature.

One thing this prevents me from doing what happened while I was using IT, is that I accidentally place 2 notes in a row due to not releasing the key fast enough.