Using OpenMPT as Sequencer for Korg Volca Bass. Trouble With Midi.

Started by XD3l, July 30, 2016, 01:59:46

Previous topic - Next topic

XD3l

I am trying to set up OpenMPT so I can use it as a MIDI controller and therefore sequencer for my Korg Volca Bass, and eventually other instruments.

I have referred to this guide:

https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_MIDI_Reference#Enabling_MIDI_Output

I then went into instruments and set the MIDI channel to match that of the Volca Bass. After which I began to hit keys on the PC keyboard, but the Volca BASS does not respond.

Any ideas?

Saga Musix

Since you specify Linux as your OS, can you verify that Wine's MIDI output it set up correctly?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

XD3l

I switched to a Windows machine in the mean time to test this. So if we get this to work under windows, I will then try Wine.

Saga Musix

The Volca Bass MIDI implementation chart says that notes are only "Received when global parameter MIDI RX ShortMessage is set to ON". Can you check this setting?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

XD3l

Thank you. As fate would have it, none of the documentation explains how to set this up. I will consult with the Korg forums and return here once I have that sort out.

XD3l

Wonderful, I got it, thank you so much for the help. I'd not have been able to deduce that from looking at the chart alone.

Here is the solution in case anyone else needs it!

(hold down func while turning on your bass and then press 7 followed by rec to save)

Saga Musix

Glad you could get it to work. It seems like MIDI is not really so straight-forward with these little KORG synths, as we have experienced before when trying to various MIDI time sources to work with them: https://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=5653.0

XD3l