Error message when installing and starting OpenMPT in Wine

Started by videofindersTV, July 10, 2016, 01:43:17

Previous topic - Next topic

videofindersTV

Hi.

I'm running OpenMPT in Wine (playonmac and winonx), so I'm not sure if this is the problem with the program with Wine itself.
Whenever I install and start OpenMPT, I get this message:
"Unable to execute file:
C:\Program Files\OpenMPT\mptrack.exe

CreateProcess failed; code 193.
Bad EXE format for %1."

I'm not really sure what happened here. I tried looking it up but all I got was either a corrupt EXE (which is not, I just downloaded the EXE from the site) or something with the 64bit edition not working (I checked my wine version, its 64bit too).

Can anyone help with this problem I am having?

videofindersTV

Whoops, nevermind. Found out a work-around.

For anyone who's trying to install and use OpenMPT in Wine (on Macs, that is):
1. Download the 32-bit version (this is IMPORTANT!!!)
2. Choose the Windows 7 option on Installer
3. Install the program
4. You should see the program open up automatically, unless you unchecked the "Launch OpenMPT after installer closes" (or whatever it is) option at the end of the installation

Saga Musix

OpenMPT 64-bit runs just fine on my Xubuntu install, so it would be interesting to know why this happens. What you posted is a work-around, not a solution.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

manx

I cannot comment on the exact onfiguration of Wine on MacOSX as I do not own any Apple hardware for testing.

However, there are Wine installations which by default only provide a Win32 environment even though Win64 support would be supported (Debian packages for Wine on Debian Jessie for example).

the solution is to just enable Win64 support for Wine, by setting the environment variable WINEARCH=win64 .
I.e., from the shell, do something like:

export WINEARCH=win64 ; wine ./mptrack.exe

or

export WINEARCH=win64 ; wine64 ./mptrack.exe

videofindersTV

Quote from: manx on July 10, 2016, 11:54:52
I cannot comment on the exact onfiguration of Wine on MacOSX as I do not own any Apple hardware for testing.

However, there are Wine installations which by default only provide a Win32 environment even though Win64 support would be supported (Debian packages for Wine on Debian Jessie for example).

the solution is to just enable Win64 support for Wine, by setting the environment variable WINEARCH=win64 .
I.e., from the shell, do something like:

export WINEARCH=win64 ; wine ./mptrack.exe

or

export WINEARCH=win64 ; wine64 ./mptrack.exe

I'll try doing the solution you posted. Thanks!