Collaboration [isn't there another thread like this? :o]

Started by Brozilla, July 05, 2016, 06:21:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Brozilla

Wasn't sure if I should hijack the other one so making a new one..... apologies in advance.

So who wants to make a song together?  :)
I've done orchestral (like) and video game music is my current. However dabbed a bit in jazz and experimental stuff. Save for an expansive string/pad set and scats my sample library is relatively "meh" so generally do a lot of SNES stuff to hide that but beggars can't be choosers. If anyone is interested I can go more in-depth.
44.1 vs. 48khz sampling rate

monsterovich

QuoteSNES stuff

Drop it. I prefer only high quality samples and I hate chiptunes. But, I'm ready. :P

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteSo who wants to make a song together?
Why not. Im ready.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

Brozilla

Quote from: monsterovich on July 05, 2016, 11:37:18
QuoteSNES stuff
Drop it. I prefer only high quality samples and I hate chiptunes. But, I'm ready. :P
SNES is beyond chiptune (but capable of), I'm okay with not doing it but insulting it is another story  :P
Have a terrible time naming genres but at the least we might need a compromise. My composition style (even in middle school when I kinda sucked) has often been very progressive since the aforementioned genres generally contain a lot of moving parts. Naturally it'd be good with learning something but overextending might not make me the best partner lol.

Quote from: FreezeFlame(Alchemy) on July 05, 2016, 17:00:14
Why not. Im ready.
Tbh your offer is a bit more tempting, maybe it's possible to do a 3-way? Never collabed before but want the experience. To say the least your music seems to be a lot more forgiven regarding my skillset. Choosing between you both is a bit of a dilemma since monsterovich was first yet you'd probably be easier to work with (maybe....  ;D)

Before cuffing the nail there is one last criteria for anyone. No more than 16 channels. Realize that there are some who organizes their channels based on the instrument being played but the rational behind it is having no more than the "necessary" allocation will allow everything to be seen at run-time. The argument can also be made I'm no fan of seeing a lot of empty space but once the actual song is finished we can increase the channels to add bells and whistles.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteTbh your offer is a bit more tempting, maybe it's possible to do a 3-way?
If monsterovich agrees, why not.
QuoteNever collabed before but want the experience.
Yes, its the first time i cooperate with someone in composing an piece of music.
Quoteyou'd probably be easier to work with (maybe....  ;D)
Only one way to find out.
QuoteBefore cuffing the nail there is one last criteria for anyone. No more than 16 channels. Realize that there are some who organizes their channels based on the instrument being played but the rational behind it is having no more than the "necessary" allocation will allow everything to be seen at run-time. The argument can also be made I'm no fan of seeing a lot of empty space but once the actual song is finished we can increase the channels to add bells and whistles.
What about the max. size of the module, and in which format it is going to be?
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

monsterovich

QuoteWhat about the max. size of the module

The size that you'll get is max. ex. My modules size may reach ~6-10mb. :P

Quoteformat

I use only .it or .mptm (with VST that works only in mpt, I prefer simple reverb like Ambience or Freeverb, not VSTi). Other tracker formats are useless. Limiting yourself in features is absurd. You should realise that we are living in 2016.

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

monsterovich

Quote from: Saga Musix on July 06, 2016, 21:53:42
others call it a challenge.

I've seen enough such challenges, it's better to compose quality and interesting music. :P

Brozilla

Quote from: FreezeFlame(Alchemy) on July 06, 2016, 21:12:37
What about the max. size of the module, and in which format it is going to be?
.it/mptmp, there are a few things I need to look up with OpenMPT but honestly (unless information is lost) I might just convert it between .it & .xm since technically I'm a MilkyTracker composer which only works with xm. Eventually I want to dump it altogether.

Max file size isn't too much of a concern but let's add no more than 8mb. Multisampled instruments (I've a lot of that) can take up a bit of room if you're not careful.

Quote from: monsterovich on July 06, 2016, 22:12:55
The size that you'll get is max. ex. My modules size may reach ~6-10mb. :P
I use only .it or .mptm (with VST that works only in mpt, I prefer simple reverb like Ambience or Freeverb, not VSTi). Other tracker formats are useless. Limiting yourself in features is absurd. You should realise that we are living in 2016.

I've seen enough such challenges, it's better to compose quality and interesting music.
Unless you wanna do a 3-way personally I'm going with Alchemy. Understand where you're coming from but a number of your comments feel somewhat directed at me :P
A string quartet only has 4 players, if they don't play more than one string at a time that might as well equate to 4 channels. Being an enthusiast for 1990s video game music it's also another "feelsbadman" kinda thing too. A lot of those composers did transition into the modern "just make music" era but brilliant ones like David Wise couldn't always do that. Personally working with 8-channels has helped me a lot, particularly with melodic constructs.

Long story short: I think you should look for another partner. As a collab I'm not expecting it to be the next best thing to sliced bread however your opinions seem to contradict the very reason I got into music tracking xD. That might also mean your skill level is much higher as well.

monsterovich

Quote from: Enumeratingw7 on July 06, 2016, 22:49:47
.it & .xm

OpenMPT unfortunately sometimes breaks compatibility between .xm and .it.

Quote from: Enumeratingw7 on July 06, 2016, 22:49:47
I'm a MilkyTracker composer which only works with xm.

I was using .xm for a long time in the past. But MilkyTracker and SchismTracker become a such garbage in comparing to OpenMPT.

Saga Musix

QuoteOpenMPT unfortunately sometimes breaks compatibility between .xm and .it.
In case you mean the conversion between XM and IT, I'd like to add that it's simply not possible to accurately between those formats in many cases because they work too differently internally. If there is indeed something that breaks during conversion but would be fixable automatically, let me know so that I can address it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.