MIDI Effects on Roland SC-7 problem

Started by Vladzimierz, March 20, 2016, 21:33:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladzimierz

Hi Everyone!

I use OpenMPT to control my Roland SC-7 Sound Module from 1992. I connect it with my laptop with MIDI - USB adapter. It's working very fine and music plays.

But I have a problem. I can't send to it any MIDI Effect Messages.
I get codes from manual, for example, code for change reverb type is F0411056120000000106F7.
I put that code in Zxx Macro Configuration > SF0 Custom Type and use SF0 on pattern but I don't hear any effect.

Thank you in advance for help.

Saga Musix

SF0 through SFF only change which of the 16 macro slots you see there is going to be used by Z00-Z7F commands. So you would have to put a Z00 command in the pattern, and only put an SF0 command in front of it if you used any other SFx command on the same channel before. I would have hoped that the manual made this clear here: https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Zxx_Macros#Parametered_Macros - if not, please try to explain which part you did not understand so that it can be improved.

Z00-Z7F can be used to control effects that have varying parameters, but if the message you want to send has no parameters, it might be wiser to use one of the fixed macros, Z80-ZFF. These can be configured in the lower part of the dialog.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Vladzimierz

Thank you for quick reply, I did like You told, but I still don't hear difference in reverb type. Maybe I do sth wrong?  :(

Saga Musix

Just to be absolutely sure, is the instrument on that channel actually bound to a MIDI plugin, and is it the correct one? If that is the case, please verify if the message works if you send it to the device using SendSX or a similar program. If that is the case, I might have some bugfixing to do.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

I just had a look at the MIDI implementation chart of the SC-7, and I think you got the checksum byte wrong. Try the following message instead: F041105612 00 00 01 01 7E F7

Vladzimierz

If I send message with SendFX, LED on USB-MIDI converter is blink but on Roland SC-7 signal LED don't blink. My phones are directly plug into Roland SC-7, I hear all sounds, and signal LED blink when music plays. I used Roland SC-7 with OpenMPT for many months. But SysEx messages not working :(.

Saga Musix

Did you check if the MIDI message in my previous post works?
At this point I cannot really help much more since I neither own a SC-7, nor whatever MIDI interface you are using (some of them are buggy when it comes to SysEx, so it could be related).